Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Does weight a contributing factor?

Posted by cindyjoelle on 8/26/04 at 18:40 (158760)

I am a small person, not quite 5 foot tall and wonder if being 40 pounds over weight is a contributing factor to PF? I know I have to lose the weight for health reasons not associated with my feet as it is. I just never had the pain in my feet when I weighed what I am supposed to.

Re: Does weight a contributing factor?

Dr. David S. Wander on 8/26/04 at 18:55 (158761)

Although plantar fasciitis can occur in any patient regardless of weight, being overweight can certainly be a contributing factor in plantar fasciitis. Attempt a smart weight loss program and your plantar fasciitis may resolve in additon to all the other health benefits.

Kathy M on 8/31/04 at 20:23 (159069)

I had pf in my left foot soooo bad last year for 9 months. It felt like the tissue was pulling away from the bone with every step I took. I was 25-30 pounds overweight. I could not walk to excercise so I bought some thighmasters ($40.00)I also bought some 2.5 and 5 pound weights and laid on my back
and exercised any chance I got. You can even use the thighmasters while your riding (not driving) in the car or sitting watching tv or on the computor. I did this for 6-8 weeks. I also ate fruits, veggies, meat and fish. No main carbs (Breads,pastas,spuds etc.)I iced my foot with a bag of frozen corn about 8 times a day. Took my anti -inflammatory meds. Did the yoga stretches. I lost 22 pounds in that period and miraculously my foot healed up. I just decided to get fanatical about it and it worked. I just did the steps I learned on this web site and intensified it to do it fast and get it over with. Not to mention I look and feel a whole lot better!
I haven't been to this site now for months but thought I'd check in so see what was new. Hope this helps, it did it for me!

Pauline on 9/01/04 at 13:20 (159092)

I think that is why most people like low carb. diets, they see results faster than with more traditional ones. This translates to success and that is exactly what people want. They want to be successful.

I think most are surprised to learn that they do lose their craving for sugar and if and when they eat something containing sugar like cake how overly sweet it seems to taste and they would rather not have it.