Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Richard: soft or hard orthotics?

Posted by Buck T. on 8/27/04 at 15:56 (158815)

Hello Richard: Stay active gardening and doing outdoor things in my plastic orthotics. My POD has considered soft
orthotics.
I now have problems climbing steps and in doing similar type activities. My POD leans toward soft orthotics for athletes but I don't do basketball, etc. What's your take on both kinds. I am doing okay, but looking for ways to improve.

Also, what is a soft orthotic?

Sincerely, Buck

Re: Richard: soft or hard orthotics?

Richard, C.Ped on 8/30/04 at 07:53 (158951)

Each C.Ped or other professional may have different opinions of what makes a soft orthotic. My version of a soft orthosis is using 40 durometer EVA as the posting and a shell of 30 durometer EVA. I have experimented with many, many materials, and in my opinion, that is one of the best for a soft orthosis. It gives excellent support, but it also provides cushion.

We start most of our customers off with the soft orthosis. There are some exceptions though. Most of our flat foot customers get the soft. Now, if I have a 300 pound football lineman, I will not use the soft only because he will break that down in less than a month.

If you are doing ok with the plastic, why switch?

Re: Richard: soft or hard orthotics?

Buck T. on 8/30/04 at 15:13 (158990)

Thanks Richard: Will stick with hard ones for now. Sincerely, Buck