Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Anyone see Regis and Kelly this morning?

Posted by Linda V. on 8/30/04 at 14:58 (158988)

Ripa has been complaining about her feet hurting in those high heels...so a POD wrote and offered to inject collagen for her. She said that IF she was going to get collagen injected, it wouldn't be in her feet.

Re: Anyone see Regis and Kelly this morning?

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/01/04 at 21:35 (159125)

Linda:
As far as I know the collagen product that we used to use for feet is no longer on the market.
Ed

Re: restylane injections..not that i would do it...

Linda V. on 9/01/04 at 22:03 (159127)

Cushioning Shots For Your Feet
A CBS 2 Special Report

Jul 27, 2004 11:00 pm US/Eastern
NEW YORK (CBS) For many women when it comes to shoes, the higher the heel, the better. But the fancy footwear can be painful. CBS 2's Cindy Hsu reports on a new injection to cushion your feet.

If you want to charm Laura Picciano, look down and compliment her shoes. 'When somebody says ‘You know, your feet, your shoes look nice,' I think that they are conveying that there finding something positive about the way I look.'

While Laura spends about $1,500 a month on designer shoes, she says she never really got her money's worth. 'When you spend money on shoes you obviously want to be able to wear them but when you are in so much pain all of a sudden, that seems to go out the window.'

But now Laura says she's comfortable wearing high heels all day. Four months ago, she underwent a new procedure to eliminate heel pain.

She had a collagen-like injection, called Restylane, which is injected into the heels of her feet.

Manhattan podiatrist Suzanne Levine says more and more women are coming to her asking for the procedure, which costs about $500 per foot. 'They don't want to give up their high heeled shoes. What this material does is it gives them the opportunity to wear the heels for certain periods of time and then to switch back to work function or sensible shoes.'

Restylane is not FDA approved for the heel, but Dr. Levine insists it is safe, since it is used on parts of the face to fill in wrinkles.

She says as baby boomers age, they are discovering the padding on their heels is deteriorating.

Gels like collagen and Restylane, Dr. Levine says, provide that much-needed extra cushioning. 'By injecting either collagen or Restylane, you avoid foot surgery. To me it's a conservative form of treating pain under the ball of the foot.'

'To inject something into the heel in order to provide cushion is a barbaric idea,' says Manhattan orthopedic surgeon Dr. Mark Sobel.

He says there are no long-term studies proving the injections work. But more importantly, he says no one knows if it's safe in the long-term. 'You do not walk on your face, you need to walk on your foot and it is a very sad situation to take a normal, healthy foot that is functioning well and then put a surgical procedure on it that makes the foot not healthy in order to accommodate a shoe.'

Dr. Sobel says if women or men want to eliminate pain, they need to wear more comfortable shoes and the American Orthopedic Foot And Ankle Society agrees.

It recently issued a statement critical of collagen injections, saying 'the public needs to be aware of the risks associated with these procedures.'

But Dr. Levine says all she's done is find a new use for collagen and Restalyne and it's helping women like Laura wear high heels again without pain.

'I think a lot of it in my case was the comfort level, but of course I wanted my feet to look nice,' Laura says, adding 'I don't think that the long term effects are going to be very significant.'

(MMIV, CBS Broadcasting Inc., All Rights Reserved.)

Pauline on 9/02/04 at 08:43 (159148)

Maybe this is treatment should be called 'Head to Foot Repair' complete with stopping points along the way:*

Kathy G on 9/02/04 at 10:09 (159157)

I still say that if they can do liposuction on the stomach, they should be able to reinject that fat into the heels. It would be the best of both worlds: no more pot belly and no more walking on the bones of your feet. Since I no longer work outside the house, maybe I should do a study on it and set myself up in business. I'm sure the FDA would approve the procedure! :D

Pauline on 9/02/04 at 10:50 (159160)

Kathy,
Fat cells may prove valuable yet. Here is an interesting article.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1161739/posts