Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Orthotic Problems-Dr. or Anyone Please!

Posted by Dee C on 8/31/04 at 15:57 (159042)

Had my surgery (pf release and Tailor bunion) May 28 and just got prescribed new orthotics--old ones from before hurt feet too much and very hard. Dr. said it was a softer type, but still pretty hard. I feel better in my Superfeet. I don't wear tennis shoes much, and want them for sandals and kind of dressy wedge heel types of shoes; and slippers around the house too, of course. Should I force myself to get used to them if possible? Am I hurting my feet if I walk too much in something OTC like Superfeet? Hate to be such a complainer. My Dr. can't figure why I have so much pain still. But this board has taught me a lot. Also, all my shoes from before the surgery are now too short. Am trying to find out if my insurance will help but slow going.

Re: Orthotic Problems-Dr. or Anyone Please!

Pauline on 8/31/04 at 19:50 (159066)

Dee,
I'm not a doctor, but I do believe your feet will tell you if they are being injured. There usually is a break in period for orthotics, but my personal theory is if you gave them a try and you're really hurting more with them than without they may need more adjustment or they are not the ones for you.

Several of the doctors here like and use OTC Power Steps with their patients. Your Supperfeet may be similar. If they give you support and feel comfortable I'd use them until your doctor provides you with something better that you can adapt to and wear.

Take your new orthotics back and seek adjustments or a different type.

Richard, C.Ped on 9/01/04 at 06:31 (159077)

Superfeet is ok, but it is not as effective as an orthosis made from a cast. The new orthosis may need a wedge here or there. That is something a trained eye can see. Sometimes, fitting an orthosis is a little trial and error. The bad thing is when the orthosis is made across the country in a lab and it takes forever to get them back from an adjustment.

A pedorthist is able to see the customer right there in the office while trying different modifications.

If you can not get a straight answer from your insurance company, go directly to the durable medical equipment supervisor to ask your questions.

Linda V. on 9/01/04 at 07:37 (159081)

dee,
i like my superfeet better than my orthotics. my pod did some 'custom' work and built up shims on certain parts of my superfeet. i have the full length green ones, but yesterday found out they make a little narrow one to slip into a dress shoe for when you have to wear a real shoe for a little while. going to try it for a wedding sept 25. but if my feet start to hurt...i'll be in my new balances sneakers and just keep my feet under the table all evening.

Pauline on 9/01/04 at 09:30 (159085)

Linda,
Wear your sneakers proudly. We suffered and earned the right to wear them any time we want:*

Dee C on 9/01/04 at 15:24 (159102)

Linda V, the smaller black Superfeet foot is great. I only go out on the weekends for awhile with my husband; and find them great for sandals. You will like them if you like the green ones. I'm going to see what can be done about my 'hard orthotics' and persevere trying them for a while longer.

Dee C on 9/01/04 at 15:29 (159104)

Richard, thanks for info. The rx says crape spenco thin. You familar with these? Not very thin, tho.