Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Does PF in BOTH FEET = Nerve damage?

Posted by Matt P on 9/02/04 at 14:37 (159165)

Greetings. A recent pod told me that PF in both feet is very rare (what is the bi-word I'm looking for... bi polar, bi pedal). He suggested that the cause was possibly something central (say, in the spine). I'm not sure what to do with this information?

Just purchased some ARizonas.

Thanks for all your help!

Re: Does PF in BOTH FEET = Nerve damage?

john h on 9/02/04 at 15:03 (159170)

I think your POD is wrong. I have seen numberous post on this board and talked to various Doctors, It is not at all uncommon. I have PF in both feet.

Pauline on 9/02/04 at 15:49 (159176)

Matt,
As John points out we've have many posters who have P.F. in both feet. What I'm not certain about is if it begins in both feet at exactly the same time.

In my case, this didn't not happen. The P.F. began in my left foot first and as it continued to get worse, I began to walk differently to avoid the increased pain. I feel this change putting more weight and stress on the right eventually caused the P.F. in my right foot.

By far, when my P.F. was full blown with inflammation my left foot was worse than my right and the right cleared faster than the left as it finally went away.

There may be people who's bilateral P.F. began at exactly the same time but they just usually post they have P.F. bilaterally. I don't recall ever investigated whether it started in both feet at the same time or not.

Perhaps your doctor is suggesting that you have some back involvement as well contributing to your foot problem. Back problems can contribute to leg and possibly foot pain.

Linda V. on 9/02/04 at 17:14 (159183)

i too have pf in both feet, happened almost exactly the same as paulines. my pod told me this is not unusual...it occurs in about 40% of cases he has seen. and yes, he believes that when one foot (like mine) is a full blown case, we favor it and put more stress on the 'innocent' foot---so, it happens. i have no reason at this point to think i have nerve problems.

Susan S on 9/02/04 at 19:01 (159192)

My PF occurred in both feet at exactly the same time, pretty much the same moment. It's worse in one foot though. That foot has a tighter achilles tendon, and pronates more when I bend the ankle. A doctor friend of mine thinks I need to see a rheumatologist, which I haven't done yet.

Julie on 9/03/04 at 02:39 (159202)

Bilateral PF isn't rare. It sounds as though your podiatrist hasn't had a great deal of experience with PF.

Marty from SLC on 9/03/04 at 08:55 (159213)

Are you all sure you have PF? I have talked to many who thought they had PF or TTS and even had the surgery only to find out they had Neuropathy. Us that have suffered from PF a long time and have treated ourselves and haven't gotten better should look at other possibilities that mimic PF. I think B12 deficiency is a bigger culprit that we think.

Marty

Andrea D on 9/08/04 at 17:28 (159573)

I am back after 4 years on a wonderful hiatus of pain free FEET (plural) For three years (1998-2001) I suffered from extreme pain in both feet (no it was not a neruopathy). I now know what I did to re-aggrevate it (I believed I was cured and could run a marathon again--wrong!) I had every test in the book and tried every suggestion on this site for 3 years and finally I think it was time that healed me (as well as modified 'endorphin high seeking' behavior.) As a person plagued by PF in both feet off and on for almost 7 years, and visiting this site daily (during my 'bad years') I am here to tell you its not UNCOMMON....seek a new Dr.!