Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dr Ed, Dr Z, Dr Wander

Posted by Julie on 9/03/04 at 03:11 (159205)

Suchitra, who lives (I think) in India, made a post a couple of days ago at the bottom of an old thread on the Social board. You probably didn't see it, so I am copying it and the ensuing exchange here. If you have any ideas for Suchita, I'm sure you will respond.

Thanks. Here are the posts:

splinter in foot/scar tissue
Posted by suchitra on 8/31/04 at 20:24

Hi all!

This message board has been so helpful. More than anything it helps me when I get really desperate about my foot. I had surgery an year ago to remove a piece of glass that was lodged in the ball of my foot for two months and shattered inside. Everything was great for the past year, and then suddenly for the past two months a pebble-like callous has formed there - scar tissue. No kind of shoes seem to help, and altering my walk so as to not exert pressure on it makes my whole foot and leg hurt. I've been massaging it with some regular body butter. So first question, should I use a different cream, and should I massage it in a certain way(circular etc). Second question, the callous is pretty small but painful nonetheless. Will it ever completely go away, or will it keep flaring up from time to time? Third question, has an altered walk affected anyone's toes?

In my country, we rarely wear more than flipflops, and often are barefoot. Can I go back to that ever? It's really troubling, seems like there's nothing I can do about it. If anyone could answer any question or all, I'd be really grateful

Reply to Message # 159070

Re: splinter in foot/scar tissue
Posted by Julie on 9/01/04 at 02:22

Hi Suchitra

I'm guessing, from your name (and your flipflops) that you're in India.

I've spent time in south India (Tamil Nadu, mainly) on four occasions. On the first of these (before I had PF) I wore sandals and flipflops most of the time, and got a nasty infection from a tiny thorn that lodged in my little toe. So I know what you mean: there's a price to pay for that wonderful feeling of freedom that comes from liberating one's feet from their bonds/shoes!

Are you quite sure that this new callous is really scar tissue and not a bit of the glass missed in the surgery and now trying to work its way out of your foot? Or maybe something else, picked up since the surgery? It would be a good idea to return to your doctor and ask him or her to check that possibility out. It does sound to me as though there just might be a foreign object inside your foot: the intense pain you describe sounds more like that, and possibly an infection, than an ordinary callous would create.

If it is just a bit of scar tissue, you could try massaging it with Vitamin E oil. It's best to use Vitamin E capsules, if you can get them: snip the end off a capsule, squeeze out the pure oil, and massage it vigorously in a circular motion. You could also try an essential oil, such a lavender oil, which promotes healing - 10 drops in a small quantity (about 100ml) of a carrier oil.
Altering your walk will affect your feet, ankles, knees, hips and lower back, so to avoid a multiplication of problems, it's important that you get this sorted out. See your doctor, and let us know what happens.
Reply to Message # 159076

Posted by Suchitra on 9/02/04 at 16:39

Thanks a lot Julie! I did check with my doctor about a piece of glass potentially still being in there. The X-ray shows that there's nothing. And, the docs ruled out a potential wart because it doesn't look like a plantar wart in any way. Any other kind of infection was also ruled out, because the wound had closed up a while ago, and it had been fine for a long time. I will try the Vitamin E oil. Meanwhile, my friend spoke to his doctor about me, and he said that a plastic surgeon would be able to remove it in a way that more scar tissue would not form. I don't know why a regualr foot surgeon might not be able to do that. That's the last option anyway.
Reply to Message # 159180

Posted by Julie on 9/03/04 at 03:05

Hi Suchitra

I think plastic surgeons are probably best at removing scar tissue, so if continued massage doesn't help, perhaps that's the way to go. At least you wouldn't have to have your foot opened up again. My sense of this is that it should be dealt with without too much delay, because of the way the pain is affecting the way you walk, with the possibility of knock-on problems higher up, for your joints and lower back.

See if you can get some of the cushioning pad stuff that Scholl make, and cut out a hole in it for the callous. That should take some of the pressure off it as you walk. Of course you would have to wear shoes to keep the pad in place - sorry about that.

I would also suggest that you do another post, outlining your problem, on the Ask the Doctors message board. I'm not sure how you found this one, but it is the Social Board, which the doctors who help on this website don't always read, and it's at the bottom of an old/dead thread. You might get some useful advice from Dr Z. or Dr Ed or Dr Wander. I know it's complicated - in fact, I think what I'll do is post our exchange there now. Stand by for more responses, and good luck.

You didn't answer about India. Is that where you are? Where?

Re: Dr Ed, Dr Z, Dr Wander

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/03/04 at 11:15 (159232)

My 'cocktail' for dissolving scar tissue usually involves use of a combination of an enzyme, hyaluronidase and a steroid, triamcinolone acetonide. Availability of the substances can be an issue. Vitamin E oil can help coupled with very regular deep massage, massaging for a longer time with modest intensity but not short and hard as to cause pain. The PT modality, ultrasound can help if available.

Janice N on 9/04/04 at 11:06 (159287)

I developed a spot on the bottom of my foot many yrs ago. The podiatrist and I could never figure out what it was. It looked kind of like a callous but wasn't.
He removed it when I had surgery for a Neuroma. But it came back. He worked on it again but it came back again. Never did figure out what it is and it is still there. I used to walk outside in the yard without shoes so who knows what I picked up doing that. It is not really painful but I know it is there. PF sure takes my mind of it.

Dr. Z on 9/04/04 at 14:40 (159301)

Did he send it out to a lab for an examination.? That will tell you what it is

Janice N on 9/06/04 at 06:47 (159404)

It was so many yrs ago. At least 17 yrs. I wondered if it was someting I got from going barefoot outside
in my yard.