Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Am I doing the right thing? Bone spur/plantar Fasciitis

Posted by LLO on 9/05/04 at 10:09 (159361)

After reading up on all this, I'm not sure I want to go through with it. I am to have surgery on 9/8/04. My doctor says its a 20 minute procedure, with minimal time off my feet and full weight bearing after 3-4 days. He will cut the fascia and remove the bone spur. It is done in his office and he makes it sound routine. Am I doing the right thing?

Re: Am I doing the right thing? Bone spur/plantar Fasciitis

Julie on 9/05/04 at 10:49 (159362)

Are you saying that you have plantar fasciitis?

How long have you had it?

Is your doctor a podiatrist, or an orthopedic foot and ankle surgeon? Or?

What did his/her examination and evaluation consist of?

What was the diagnosis? i.e. if you do have pf, what has been causing it?

What treatment have you had so far?

You need to give more information about all these aspects before anyone can give you anything resembling an informed answer to your question. Even then, no-one knows, except for your, whether or not you are doing the right thing - and you will only know it after you have done lots of research.

What you can be sure of is that foot surgery is to be avoided if at all possible, and is always the very last resort, after all conservative treatments have been tried and have failed.

I also think that any doctor who makes light of foot surgery is either very inexperienced, or else is not being entirely truthful (for whatever reason). A couple of hours spent reading past posts here will cure you of the idea that you will be fully weight-bearing after 3-4 days. It can take up to a year to heal fully from even wholly successful surgeries.

And why is he going to 'remove the bone spur'? He must know that it is very unlikely to be the cause of your problem.

Please read the heel pain book for a better understanding of pf, and at the very least, see another doctor for another opinion.

april l on 9/05/04 at 12:33 (159366)

Nobody can tell you if you're doing the right thing. From my experience doing this twice, I can tell you that yes, you can be weight bearing after three days but you probably won't feel like you want to be weight bearing after three days. The surgery itself is pretty easy to go through, but be prepared for a long recovery. Yes, I did walk after 3 days but I couldn't work for 3 months. Even then it was painful for a good 6 months. The heel pain was gone, but when the fascia is cut it causes pains almost everywhere else in your foot. I even had pains in my toes! Of course that's just me but it happened both times.

I never heard of this surgery being done in a doctor's office though. Both times I had an anesthesiologist there during the surgery. It's not major surgery, but it's not snip and go either. I would be concerned if my doctor was making light of it.

I wonder too about what other treatments you have had. I think most doctors won't do surgery until conservative treatments have been tried and failed.

LLO on 9/07/04 at 00:46 (159469)

I have had pain in my foot for a couple months now. I have received a cortizone shot in it a month ago, no relief. I wear orthotics almost all the time and have been for at least 10 years. I have pain in every step and even sometimes when I am not on my feet.
My doctor is a podiatrist.
My left foot is the affected one. My podiatrist took out a neuroma a number of years ago and my orthopedic surgeon did a bunionectomy on it a couple years ago. I wear orthotics on both feet of course.
I am a little overweight but not obese.
I am active though I work in an office.
After reading a lot about heel spurs and plantar fasciitis, I have lots of questions to ask my doctor.
I have a business trip in less than a month, and from all I have read, it will be very hard for me to go if I have this surgery now.
More questions for my doctor. Yes, he is very confident and, I don't think he has told me everything.
I see him tomorrow.
Thanks for the input.

LLO on 9/07/04 at 00:50 (159470)

I have worn orthotics for 10 years. I got a cortizone shot in my heel a number of years ago that worked. The cortizone shot I got last month did not help this time.
I see my doctor again tomorrow and will address all the questions garnered from this web site. I am active but work in an office. I do LOTS of running around at work and home, plus exercise each morning.
Yes, I have lots of questions and may have to put it off anyway since I am scheduled for a business trip in less than a month. Thanks for your input.

Julie on 9/07/04 at 01:51 (159473)

LLO, I think you have answered your own question. I would not trust this doctor to cut my foot, and I would put the surgery off. See your doctor, armed with the information you now have, ask all your questions, don't be fobbed off with airy confident answers, and if you are not satisfied, find another doctor. There is never a good reason to rush into surgery, unless it is for a life-threatening condition.

Have you read the heel pain book?

Have you thought about ESWT?