Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

removable cast

Posted by mikeb on 9/05/04 at 20:33 (159377)

i have had pf for 8 months now. saw a new, very positive, pod who prescribed a removable cast; it looks like a ski boot and i am able to ambulate on it. i have had relief after only 4 days. i am to wear it from 3-6 weeks, following up in another 2/1/2 weeks. the boot is 'body armor wakler' by Darco. it is working. ps: same treatment worked for a close friend who reccommended the pod.
good luck

Re: removable cast

Janice N on 9/06/04 at 06:22 (159400)

I go to the podiatrist on WED. to try something like that. I am glad it is helping you.

Pat on 9/06/04 at 19:09 (159431)

I'm just curious if your insurance company covered the removable cast. I made the mistake of going to an orthopedic surgeon (long story) for my PF and was so disgusted aftert the last visit I'm not going back. He put a cast on that is not removable and I can't stand it. I've never had a cast before and don't know if it's on right or what but it feels like it's rubbing. I'm suppose to wear it for 4 weeks and I just got to the point where I want the thing OFF! I made an appointment for a supposedly top notch POD tomorrow so I'll see what he says. Was this a last type effort for your friend?

mikeb on 9/06/04 at 20:19 (159451)

the pod i went to took no insurance. and the boot cost me alot. however, the boot can be bought on darco's internet site for 1/3rd what i paid for it. i would pay whatever it cost to rid myself of the pf. so far, its a good investment. good luck.

Re: Darco's website

christyw on 9/06/04 at 22:56 (159464)

What is darco's internet site?

R C on 9/07/04 at 08:31 (159477)

Non-removable casts are indeed a pain, but I urge you to give it a chance to do its work. In my case it was the only thing that really helped. I further recommend crutches, as keeping weight off the foot altogether allows it to heal. Follow up with good PT.

Re: Darco's website

MBRAVE on 9/07/04 at 08:48 (159478)

darcointernational.com. good luck, its working for me.

Re: Darco's website..which model??

Linda V. on 9/07/04 at 12:44 (159498)

hi,
was it the body armour walker II...the high one or low one? and i don't see prices on their website..how much (gulp)??
what do you wear at night?

Re: Darco's website..which model??

MBRAVE on 9/07/04 at 13:05 (159502)

i wear nothing when i am home or sitting around. it is the high one. do a search of the walker and there are other distributors.

Rose on 9/07/04 at 23:53 (159536)

It really worked for me too. I finally had surgery, and when my foot is hurting because I am on it too much, I weat the boot to bed and I have no first step pain in the morning. It really does the trick to wear it to bed.