Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fasciitis? What do you think?

Posted by onryou on 9/06/04 at 03:27 (159396)

I have a pain in my foot. It's (the pain)in the arch near the inside of my left foot two inches below the ball of my foot. I only feel the pain when I step on the ball of my foot, and that's when the pain in my arch happens. The pain started when I started running on a daily basis. I'm positive in wearing the wrong type of shoe for my type of foot. (My foot type is basically flat footed and narrow feet.) I went to the doctor on the campus where I was going to school. She wasn't really much help. She gave me steroids to see if that help, and it didn't. I tried ice and heat. The pain really doesn't occur unless I run or jog after a bit of running the pain occurs. However, I can make the pain start if I try stretching my foot by standing on my forefoot almost on my tiptoes and I can feel the pain start. I have reached down and can feel a major tendon (where the pain is) on the inside of my foot. Which it seems to be the fascia. Please give me suggestions. I plan to go get fitted shoes, where they do implants of your foot, but I'm not sure if that will work. And I want to know if I went to the doctor and told him/her its Plantar Fasciitis if I would be correct. Thanks for the help.

Sorry I've been so long winded, I wanted to make sure I gave as much info as I could.

Re: Plantar Fasciitis? What do you think?

Kathy G on 9/06/04 at 08:40 (159408)

It's imposssible to know if you have PF without going to a Podiatrist, a Certified Pedorthist or an orthopedic surgeon to be correctly diagnosed. I don't know what your health insurance policy is like or how close to home you are. If you're a long commute from home, perhaps your primary care physician can give you a referral to someone near your school. Otherwise, maybe you can get a Friday appointment with someone near home and turn it into a weekend trip home. When my daughter was at college, she had to have an ingrown toenail removed and she got a Friday appointment and came home. She did have to miss one class. That's hard, so early in the semester, but you shouldn't let this go.

I wouldn't advise going to one of those stores that does the imprint of your foot and getting shoes there. In my opinion, the employees don't have the proper training and they could actually sell you something that would make your foot worse. Save your money until you find out exactly what's causing your problem.

In the meantime, read Scott's Heel Pain Book and try to rest your feet. I know that's an impossible task when you're at college! And as much as it kills you, I'd suggest not running until you find out exactly what's wrong.
95% of PF patients recover, with proper care.

Good luck!

lisa71 on 9/12/04 at 15:53 (159788)

Sounds like you have PF. Just a warning I did the same you are doing. Working out, then pain would come but I did not stop because I did not understand what the problem was. Now I am a problem that could have been solved in a few weeks but now it will take months to heel. So do not push yourself until you have gone to a doc or you may end up with a much bigger problem than you already have. Of course I am not a doctor and this is just my opinion. Hope you solve your problem.

onryou on 9/16/04 at 23:45 (160023)

Hey, Update #1.

I went to a local podiatrist here where I lived. He asked me questions/symptoms... yada yada yada. After all that he moved my foot around examined it. then had me stand barefoot on the floor and took pictures of my feet and how I'm standing. Then he said i know this is gonna seem weird but hold your feet and he moved them around. I was standing in the hallway while he adjusted my feet. then after he had them like he wanted (and im about to fall over cus i was unbalanced) he took more pics. BTW- I forgot to add he drew dotted lines down my Achilles before hand. Then he had me walk speed walk and run. All the while taking a video of it. Then he showed me what he was doing. The pics showed how bad my feet pronate. Then he went on to give me some solutions that would cost me nothing and i could do at home (stretching and icing among other things) Also, he wanted to give me a shot in my foot. After I agreed and got the shot, he told me to come back in a week for another, and 2 weeks later for the final one. Hopefully, this will help me. I asked about night splints and he said that would be a good idea, and that he sales them or i can get it off the internet if i wanted to... 'sometimes they're cheaper that way,' he said. Anyways... 1st visit down hopefully this will help. I want to run again, I miss it.

Oh, make sure you get the right shoes for your foot type, this could prevent it in the future! =D

Julie on 9/17/04 at 01:32 (160031)

You describe a good diagnostic procedure. Not every podiatrist does this, but it is the right way (though it may not be the only right way) to determine the cause of a person's PF.

However, I am surprised that having identified your severe pronation, he did not suggest orthoses, which would correct that and take the strain off the plantar fascia. That's especially important as you hope to get back to running.

Re night splints: Scott sells returned items here, and the night splint he sells is said to be the most comfortable/tolerable.

onryou on 9/19/04 at 16:23 (160178)

Sorry, I think I've missed quite a few things he said in my previous post. He did suggest those for correction and he also mentioned surgery. He was really brief and quick when explaining surgery. Then he suggested Ortho's.
Which from him will run me 295$ or 395$. He said, 'they should last a year or more.'
I plan to get some, but like I was saying previously... No job, no insurance.
That's to much for me to throw out there. However, I plan to do everything I can to prevent this again. In 2 words, it sucks, and I don't want to go through this again. I wish more people did research before running, but if ya don't know you can't do anything about it. I jumped into running to hard to fast. And boy have I learned my lesson. I will research injury prevention before I do the exercise from now on. Whether its running or weight lifting. It isn't worth the expensive costs of doctors, when it is something one could prevent. of doctors, when it is something one could prevent.

Julie on 9/20/04 at 02:07 (160187)

Onryou, have you read the heel pain book yet? It's an excellent information resource, and will give you many ideas for managing your PF yourself.

If you can't afford orthotics, I would suggest you try taping your foot. There are instructions and illustrations in part 2 of the heel pain book. Taping not only relieves the pain, but by giving support to the arch it takes some of the strain off the plantar fascia and gives it a chance to heal.

Don't run until you are completely healed (I think you've learned that bit already!) Don't go barefoot. Make sure your shoes are the right size for you (length, width and height) and that they have good support and good cushioning. Wearing worn-down shoes will make matters worse, especially as you over-pronate.