Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF Due to high Arch & Footwear

Posted by andyt on 9/06/04 at 13:18 (159418)

I have PF, which I generally attribute to three things; 1) My very high arches 2) My relatively large frame (260#) and 3) A life of wearing flip-flops.

Does anyone know of any flip-flop type sandals that have the arch support of say....a Birkenstock sandal??

Also, I've considered casting my own inserts in silicone (i did this years ago w/ hockey skates). Has anyone had any luck or have pointers??

Re: PF Due to high Arch & Footwear

Suzanne D. on 9/06/04 at 13:35 (159420)

Andy, the young woman who cuts my hair wears Teva sandals, and she says they feel supportive for her standing job. I think they have been mentioned here before. Maybe a search of the boards will turn up some additional information.

Good luck,
Suzanne :)

Hestia on 9/06/04 at 23:53 (159466)

I have high arches also. Teva makes a running sandal, I think it is called the Wraptor. It is not a flip flop but it is a sandal with a nice arch support. I have a pair that I wore frequently earlier in my course of PF when I could not bear wearing closed shoes.

Also Birks makes a couple of flip flop/beach type shoes that can get wet etc. I don't remember their names but one has a wide strap across the front and the other has a thong between the toes like a flip flop.

Good luck.

Nick, C.Ped on 9/07/04 at 00:30 (159468)

Merrell makes a decent flip flop(merrell is more known for thier hiking boots etc. but have a preety good line of shoes) If you cant go without them those are usually the ones i suggest. They might cost a little more (40-60$ i think?), but are well worth it...Very good qaulity and like i said, a decent support syste(don't think you could do too much better with flip flops)...
Check it out @ http://www.merrell.com/catalog/gallery.asp?NavID=SS

Any other questions, please dont hesitate to ask

Buck T. on 9/07/04 at 15:44 (159510)

Hi Nick: Any one of the merrell flip flops better for pf? The merrell thong II or the other thong just before it in the website look good.

Sincerely, Buck T.

Nick, C.Ped on 9/08/04 at 23:02 (159578)

Buck,
In my fitting expierience the 'thong 2' is more supportive for a high arch, But i want to remind you that no 'flip-flop' will ever really be great for pf because it doesnt offer that heel and midfoot support like a sandal or even better a shoe would. If it is simply something you are using to get a break from your inserts and shoes, or this blasted hot weather, or just to keep you from walking barefoot GREAT! But i dont want to mislead you and let you presume this will be a fine everyday shoe for your pf. <<<

*Now that I put my disclaimer, from what you described about your feet in previous posts i would go for the 'thong 2' (LOL)

keep those questions comin'! NICK

Buck T. on 9/15/04 at 16:28 (159956)

Thanks, Nick. Yeah, I would only use them in breaks from orthotics and shoes. Questions will definitely keep coming. Appreciate responses.

Sincerely, Buck T.