Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

what to do next ( out of options ) please help

Posted by paul davis on 9/06/04 at 13:59 (159421)

I am a 36 year old man who over the last 3 years has gone through the gauntlett of foot treatments. I have been diagnosed with plantar faciitis and I also have little arch left on both feet. I have had both feet taped on a regular basis, night splints, anti-inflamitory treatments, cortizone injections, I have custom made orthodics, and recently (4 months ago) shock wave therapy. I work in a 800,000 sq ft warehouse and I have to walk the whole thing nightly. I buy very good quality new balance walking shoe and I still cant get rid of the pain which at the end of a work shift is sometimes unbarable should I have plantar release surgery.

Re: what to do next ( out of options ) please help

Dr. Z on 9/06/04 at 18:42 (159428)

How about another round ESWT

AndreaR on 9/07/04 at 13:48 (159505)

The thing that helped me the most was ART (active release technique) and physical therapy which also included soft tissue manipulation. What city do you live in? You can search the active release technique webpage for providers in your area.

paul davis on 9/07/04 at 19:04 (159520)

AndreaR, Thank you for the suggestions, I Looked up ART and did a little research. The closest provider is about fifty miles away. I really dont want to do another round of shock therapy the first round was pretty painful, with as much walking as I do at work I need to find at least a little relief from the pain. My orthodics dont seem to be working anymore

paul davis on 9/07/04 at 19:11 (159521)

Dr Z, Thank you for your suggestion, I really had a tough time with my first round of shock therapy, I had both feet done at the same office visit and it was quite painful, I did some research on plantar release, it is not really a cure all is it , if i happened to have it done I could still have pain couldnt I. If a second round of shock wave therapy does not work what would you suggest

Julie on 9/08/04 at 02:31 (159541)

Paul,

I don't like having to suggest this, but as you've probably thought of it yourself, I will. Your occupation is very likely the cause of your problem, of your ongoing pain, and of its intractability. I've lost count of the people who have posted here over the last four years whose jobs require them to be on their feet all day - nurses, teachers, security personnel, and others.

Your feet can't heal if they are continually being subjected to the stress that brought the problem on. 800,000 square metres is hugely punishing to hem.

You have been conscientious and thorough in your treatment, but the problem is still there. If orthotics and taping and ESWT haven't helped, you may be looking at the possibility that there is no answer - other than to rest your feet. Is there any way you could get a change of duties for awhile? An office you could sit down in and do something else? Or would your circumstances allow you to consider an entirely new job?

Brian G, who posted here for several years and whom many will remember for the help he gave so many regarding pain management, was a security officer who had a similar sounding job to yours. He 'walked through the pain' as you are valiantly trying to do, but eventually had to leave his job and register as disabled. He never worked after that, and always regretted his decision to carry on through the pain, thinking that things might have gone differently for him had he listened to his feet in time.

You are young, and you have your lifelong health to think about. If you make healing your feet a priority now, I am sure you will be glad that you did. I do realise that this is major stuff I'm suggesting you think about, so just ignore me if it's too much!

I wish you better.

BrianG on 9/08/04 at 11:11 (159556)

Hi Paul,

It's kind of ironic that I logged in yesterday, after taking a few months off, then to see this thread. As Julie mentioned, I had a security job, and walked on concrete, asphalt, industrial rug (covering concrete) for 18 years. At the time, my job was in jeopardy, and I felt that I had no option, except to continue on, big mistake! I tried it all, from all the conservative treatments, to Prolotherapy, surgery and 2 rounds of ESWT. Nothing has helped, except daily pain meds. I still have chronic pain, 7x24, but the meds allow me to do a few things each day. Without them (pain meds), I have no doubt, I would have no quality of life.

It's not something I feel comfortable discussing on a message board, but I'd be glad to answer any questions you might have, via e-mail. I'm at: (email removed) if you feel like you'd like to learn a little more about daily pain meds.

Regards
BrianG, not a doctor.