Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Need advice on my heel pain.

Posted by DonnaG on 9/07/04 at 08:04 (159476)

I have had heel pain for 1 year and 3 months now. I have a heel spur and plantar fascitis (hope I spelled that right). My podiatrist had orthodics made for me. I have worn them faithfully.(to be honest, I am getting really sick of wearing only my tennis shoes). I had 1 shot of cortizone which did not help for more than 24 hours. I used to walk 2 miles a day and I had to stop as soon as the heel problem began. I now ride a stationary bicycle for 30 minutes a day because it does not put any pressure on my heel. The heel has never gotten better, and my dr says it could take up to 2 years to heal. Yesterday I was outside and turned around quickly. Something actually 'popped' inside of my heel. I am now in intense pain when I try to walk on this foot. Any ideas on what could have happened? I am going to try to get an appointment with my dr today. I am beginning to think I need surgery to releave this pain.

Re: Need advice on my heel pain.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/07/04 at 10:39 (159487)

The 'pop' could have been the fascia pulling loose -something that is painful but may lead to a cure.
Ed

Re: Need advice on my heel pain.

Les on 9/07/04 at 12:52 (159500)

After my steroid injections my dr. warned me of the possibility of the fascia tearing due to the injections. He said you basically do your own surgery if that happens. Good luck let's hope it's the beginning of some healing for you.

Re: Update on my heel

DonnaG on 9/07/04 at 20:03 (159525)

I did go to the dr today and he told me exactly what I was told here! It sounds as though my fascia has torn loose and there is now a good chance that my foot will finally heal. I do have to wear a brace for at least the next 3 weeks to try to get the remainder of the ligament to stretch as it heals. It looks ridiculous, but if it will help my foot heal, I can stand it for awhile! Thanks for your support.