Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Conversation

Posted by Pauline on 9/10/04 at 08:22 (159628)

I for one was hoping our doctors would engage in more conversation on the board with Dr. Manoli., since he visited again, and as far as I know doesn't use ESWT.

Our Pods openly discuss this topic here with us and with each other. It would have been interesting to hear Dr. Manoli's thoughts on the topic and the Burchbinder reports that was torn apart here.

Let a new Pod or Chiro. post and they are filled with questions to produce active conversation, but when Dr. Manoli an Orthopedic Foot and Ankle M.D. posts the conversation seems to go silent.

It appears everyone is willing to tell 'him' something when he's not on the board, but when he actually visits all dialog seems to stop.

I know he is a commanding and well respected figure, but like Dr. Rompe he's a wealth of knowledge and approachable.

Re: Conversation

Dr. Z on 9/10/04 at 12:25 (159644)

Pauline,
It is always nice to heard from other doctors. Dr. Manoli would you like to discuss ESWT and your experience with this treatment?

A. Canoli, MD on 9/10/04 at 22:35 (159713)

Bow to me as I am the almighty foot and ankle orhtopod worshipped by Pauline.

Pauline on 9/11/04 at 09:17 (159731)

What a neat, but typical, way to treat a well respected physician. I thought ALL physicians were welcomed here, by whom, I guess is the question?

Funny this rude poster never produced the same hatred for John from MN and Dr. Sandell, but then Dr. Sandell wasn't a well known Orthopedic M.D. that I happened to visit as a patient.

This isn't mean spirited, it's pure hatred for no reason.

Dr. Z on 9/11/04 at 14:09 (159740)

Pauline,
You can't really take the Dr. Canoli MD post as real or serious. I again repeat I would be very interested in Dr.Manoli's view with ESWT and his experience.

Here are questions I would like to discuss with him. How important do you feel the use of orthosis are in the treatment of chronic fasciosis.
What types of conversative treatment have you found to be effective for treating soft tissue equinus. ie types of stretching, heel lifts.
I find equinus very difficult to treat and damaging to the human foot. Any insights or pearls you can offer would be appreiated

thanks

Dr.Zuckerman DPM

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/11/04 at 15:40 (159746)

Pauline:

I agree with Dr. Z that you should ignore the jokester. I don't differentiate between the doctors posting here as they are all welcome to jump into the dialogue. Both Dr. Z and I have come up with some good discussion points and am interested in Dr. Manoli's opinions.

I am very curious, based on my post below, to know what Dr. Manolis success rate is for gastroc. recessions in intractable PF. I view the gastroc. recession as the adjunct procedure while Dr. M is viewing it as the primary procedure. My guess is that, as far as the type of gastroc. recession, that is often surgeon preference and may not influence outcomes for PF itself.
Ed

Pauline on 9/11/04 at 15:45 (159748)

Dr. Z,
I can offer you no insights. He may or may not see your post. If you really want answers you can always call or write him. I think that is the way many doctors share information.

I certainly not a go between or his spokesperson, merely a former patient, just like you have patients that post about your expertise.

His reputation speaks for him and the quality of work that he does. He's well published and well known and personally I think this site is lucky when he finds the time to stop by.

The Canoli remarks were crass and unwarranted. There are many people here who post other doctors names yet this type of hatred doesn't show it face nor the blatant disrespect given to Dr. Manoli.

It's my opinion that post should be removed. He is a fine doctor that many other professionals respect and learn from.

BLT on 9/12/04 at 19:26 (159794)

The person that posted that is probably some person associated with some machine.

Re: Conversation, Response to Post

A Manoli, MD on 9/20/04 at 22:21 (160229)

WOW !!! Making fun of my NAME ?

I am a proud wearer of that name that was brought to The Land of Opportunity by my grandmother, Mary Manoli, circa 1910. She rode the boat over from Romania after growing up in a small village, where, to this day they have horse-drawn wooden carts. She worked as a janitor on the night shift in the Detroit Public Schools, supporting 3 kids as a single mother during the Depression after her husband walked away.

She was able to meet one of the School Board Members one evening after their meeting concluded at Washington School. He happened to be Sorensen, one of Henry Ford's right hand men. He agreed to meet my father, Arthur, who was 12 years old, the following month.

My Dad passed an interview with Sorensen, and was admitted to the Henry Ford Trade School. He graduated with Honors, and was chosen by Henry Ford to go to San Diego at the beginning of WWII to develop the turbo supercharger for our fighter planes. FOMOCO switched from making cars to planes overnight. Our planes were simply faster than the those of the Germans, primarily because of this new technology, and Hitler was defeated. My Father then had a long, productive career at FOMOCO, Briggs Manufacturing, the Chrysler Corp., and other tool and die companies in the Detroit area.

Because of the my ancestors' extremely hard-earned success, I was able to attend Undergraduate and Medical school at the University of Michigan. I completed a five year orthopaedic surgery residency at Wayne State University. I served two years as a Major (orthopaedic surgeon) in the US Army. I have been Chief of the Orthopaedic Trauma Service at Detroit Receiving Hospital, and was Professor of OS at Wayne State University in Detroit. I have been the Lenoir Locke Endowed Professor and Orthopaedic- Surgeon-in-Chief, University of South Alabama, Mobile.

Absolutely none of this would have been possible without them.

And their last name was MANOLI.

Thank you.

(PS. What is the poster's name, and what has he/she done with their life?)

Julie on 9/21/04 at 02:11 (160241)

Dr Manoli

Please don't concern yourself with that silly posting. Whoever made it was either a troublemaking lurker (we've had a few of those in the past) who used a false name to poke stupid fun in the hope of stirring things up; or else one of the many creeps who roams the internet posting idiocies on forums and is probably long gone from here.

I have always glad to see your posts about your work, and wish you would post more often.

Thank you for telling your story: beautiful and moving.

Pauline on 9/21/04 at 13:05 (160262)

To date, not one person from the Chief Health Profession Officer, Kay East, to the President of Registrar of the HPC or any Podiatric/ Chiropodist Professional Body or Society in the U.K has been able to confirm the existance of a Podiatry Surgeon named Mark Evans practicing in the Midlands.

This includes the major registary for Podiatrist/Chiropodist and 6 different professional Podiatrist/Chiropodist organization in the U.K.

How unfortunate that more respect and embrace is given to someone who pops in saying he is a Podiatrist from the U.K. than to a well respected Orthopedic Surgeon that we know exists.

I guess the difference, Dr. Manoli, is that you don't have the word Podiatrist attached to your name.

In deference to Mark Evans, I will continue to have sources check to see if his registration does show up and post it. I would like to assure readers that they have not been duped.

Julie on 9/21/04 at 14:07 (160265)

Pauline

Why are you suspicious of Mark Evans?

Dr. Z on 9/21/04 at 14:15 (160266)

Pauline,
There was a podiatrist that did contact me about ESWT from this board, when I posted http://www.dornier.com for his review of equipment. He is using a different name on this board. So I don't think you will find any podiatrist using the name Mark Evans. Mark Evans please correct me if I am wrong .

Dr. Z on 9/21/04 at 14:19 (160267)

Great story !!! What are you though about introducing ESWT for boney non-unions. From my research this appears to have tremendous potential in the orthopedic world.

Pauline on 9/21/04 at 14:35 (160268)

Julie,
When someone posts that they are a doctor on this site the readers deserve to know that that person is a real doctor. If this is being suspicious then I'm guilty, but as you can see from Dr. Z's post the person posting who may or may not be a doctor he thinks is using a phony name.

I call that suspecious. We know Dr. Z is a doctor and Dr. Ed and Dr. Wander, and Dr. Kiper, and Dr. Sandell and Dr. Reid, Dr. Cozell, Dr. Zingas and Dr. Manoli. They use their real names and are licensed practioners. I only worry about those that call themselves doctors and can't be found.

Someone using the initials Dr. before their name should be one and has no need to hide under another name. Anyone doing so sends up a red flag to me.

Julie on 9/21/04 at 16:12 (160272)

Pauline, I have to say that I don't understand Dr Z's post, and I still don't understand why you are - and were from the beginning - suspicious of Mark Evans. I read his posts, which sounded perfectly convincing to me. Your investigations may prove me wrong, and that's ok, but what I can't understand is why you felt it necessary to investigate. I've got a nose for a phoney too, and he didn't smell like one to me.

Pauline on 9/21/04 at 16:58 (160274)

Julie,
Everyone's gut feeling is different. When someone comes to this site and says they are a doctor let them prove it. Should anyone be taking the advice of someone posing as a doctor here without proof that he/she is actually one? My response would be no. You may have a different opinion.

Dr. Z on 9/21/04 at 19:17 (160283)

Julie,

What I was saying was that Mark is a podiatrist. He has e-mailed me. His name that he uses on this board is different then the name that he used when he e-mail DR. Z. Maybe he would rather not use his name on this board. I do believe his answers to posters has been outstanding.

We could go crazy with suspicions for example how do we know that Pauline isn't Dr. Manoli or that any poster is who they say they are.

Pauline on 9/21/04 at 19:48 (160284)

Because I don't speak the same language. Dr. Manoli's phone number and office address have been posted several times. Anyone wanting to contact him can do so openly and question him. Believe me he would have responded if someone like myself was attempting to post under his name. It's illegal to represent oneself as a physician anywhere.

Even some of our general posters have responded when fraudulent nasty posts were made in their name.

Any person who attempts to use the letters DR. in front of their name providing medical advice should prove it.

If I remember correctly it wasn't toooo long ago that Dorothy suggested that when I post that I specificlly tell people that I am not a doctor. I believe that when you look at posts with my name attached 'Pauline' you will find more often than not my posts beginning with the words 'I am not a doctor' or find a medical disclaimer that begins with the same words.

Smoke and mirrors. If indeed Mark Evans is a doctor and wants to be represented as such on this site he should provide proof. It's too important to the safety of Scott's readers to give out medical advice under the promise that one providing it is a doctor without proof.

Pauline on 9/21/04 at 20:00 (160285)

According to his own words Mark Evans said that he was the head of Podiatric surgery with a practice in the Midlands yet he cannot be found in any medical society or registery in the U.K.

I have no problem with Mr. Mark Evans posting as Mr. Mark Evans, however if he wants to tell us that he is Dr. Mark Evans as he suggests, then he needs to provide the proof that indeed he has met the educational requirements to use the title Dr. in front of his name.

That isn't too much to ask for any doctor providing medical advice via the internet. It's a simple standard. To accept less is to accept anyone who posts here as a medical authority.

Dr. Z on 9/21/04 at 21:18 (160295)

Did he ever use the DR. in front of his name?? Maybe he just didn't want to identify himself. We have had other doctors on this board not use DR. in front of his name. There was nothing in his posts that were harmful to any poster.
Whoever he was? his information was helping people and that is what is important.
I have no idea who he is or do I think or am I that suspicious about people.
What was it Pauline that made you that suspicious before I told you that he was using a different name when he e-mailed Dr.Z
There is nothing in Scott's rule about posting that Mark Evan avoided.

Pauline on 9/21/04 at 21:57 (160302)

'To answer your question, I lead the foot surgery team in the Midlands. I specialize in foot surgery and see many patients with heel pain on a regular basis. As a managers in the National Health Service I have to cope with very tight budgets, especially with services such as ours, and as the service lead I am accountable for and have to make a GOOD case for any new expenditures. I doubt the NHS would make the funds available for this equipment but if it proves its worth I plan to integrate the treatment in my private practice, so that patients can at least take advantage of the technology. That of course means gathering experience and evidence'.

If he is not a doctor this is a misleading statement unless the U.K. allows anyone to perform surgery without proper education and a medical licenses. I personally think you above all or any doctor for that matter should be angered and outraged if someone is misrepresenting themselves as a doctor and providing medical information to unsuspecting readers on this site.

If you plan to identify yourself as a Podiatric Surgeon you should be able to substantiate the claim.

Dorothy on 9/21/04 at 22:09 (160304)

Pauline,
Actually, what I said was (paraphrasing): when YOU post in 'Ask the Foot Doctors' in an advisory way, it is/could be confusing, as well as the fact that ScottR had at one time said that non-doctors should not post in that category. However, many posters here, myself included,(non-doctors), have posted there, most especially when a doctor had not responded to a poster in need or in the interval before a doctor did. Most people clarified that they were not doctors when doing so, but you had not been doing that. Your posts were highly advisory with what could seem to be authoritative information. I did not suggest that you add your 'disclaimer'; you took to doing so after I made my observation. For a time you did so in what seemed to be a sarcastic manner, in my opinion, but you did, nonetheless, make clear that you are not a doctor and I thought that was the salient point. Now I don't necessarily think that doctors are necessarily always more informed than an informed, intelligent 'lay person', but just in the interest of clarity and honesty, it seems right that a reader know that a seemingly authoritative, advisory voice is or is not that of a doctor in the 'Ask the Foot Doctor' category. The fact that you now say that you are not a doctor in your 'Ask the Foot Doctor' posts seems to me to be quite appropriate.

Dr. Z on 9/21/04 at 22:18 (160306)

Where did he mis-represent himself? He told us right from the start that he was a doctor. He used the name Mark Evans.
Nothing in his posters indicated that he wasn't doctor. There was no information that was harmful to any poster.
He told me his name and where he practiced in his e-mails. He probaby did want to let us know his real name. He never told us he wasn't a podiatrist.
Why are you on such a roll with this guy. ??

Pauline on 9/21/04 at 23:35 (160313)

The problem as I see it is that no U.K. Government agency can nor any one of six Medical Societies substantiate that a Mark Evans is a practicing licensed Podiatrist. Using a phoney name is a misrepresentation of the truth and can result in loss of license in the medical profession in the real world.

This site has demanded more information and identification from people they think are manufacturers reps. for competitor ESWT companies than from a person who pops on claiming to be a doctor, but apparently according to other posts is using an alias.

Re: To Pauline and Dr Z

Julie on 9/22/04 at 01:47 (160316)

Dr Z, thanks for your clarification. Your original post wasn't clear - it sounded as though you too were suspicious of Mark Evans but I understand now.

If Mark Evans was a pseudonym, I'm sure the podiatrist posting under it had his reasons for doing so. That was his choice and his right. He did not, however, identify himself as 'Dr Mark Evans'. What you are not aware of, Pauline, is that podiatrists in the UK do not call themselves 'Doctor'. (Neither do consultant surgeons call themselves 'Doctor: once you get to the top of the medical tree in the UK, you call yourself 'Mister' again. Don't ask me why: it's an English peculiarity.)

Mark described himself as a podiatric surgeon. My podiatrist, who is also a podiatric surgeon, completed four years of surgical training to qualify. He does not call himself 'Doctor'.

There was nothing, absolutely nothing, in any of Mark's posts to indicate a lack of podiatric or surgical experience: quite the reverse. He spent a good deal of time in his brief stay here making posts that were knowlegdeable, informative and helpful, and - I would have thought - interesting to people who do not know much about the health care setup in the UK. I hoped he would return after he got home, but after your barracking, Pauline, I couldn't blame him if he stayed away.

Sometimes your crusading zeal - which I know stems from your concern to protect people - goes too far, Pauline. I think this is one of those times.

Scott R on 9/22/04 at 08:06 (160326)

If i did say in the past that the ask the doctors board is only for doctors to respond, let me say now that anyone can respond to posts there, but everyone should keep in mind that all the newcomers in that board are hoping for a doctor to respond and it is better if that board is not too cluttered with repsonses that are not to the point of what the original poster was seeking. I'm placing a not at the top of that board: 'Please be aware that not all responses are by doctors.' so that everyone doesn't have to state a disclaimer.

Re: To Pauline and Dr Z

Dr. Z on 9/22/04 at 08:25 (160327)

Julie,
I agree with you. I was really excited that we had a NEW doctor on the board that wanted to offer his advice to posters. He told us from day one that he didn't want referrsals due to the British system controlling patiets getting to him
His advice was really good. His understanding of podiatric treatments was up to date.

I think what concerned Pauline and for a very brief moment concerned Dr. Z was his lack of experience with ESWT. Hey I know alot of physicians in the USA that have never heard of ESWT. Pauline probaby knows more about ESWT then most of the podiatrists in the USA. ESWT has moved forward in leaps but physician education has a very long way to go and that is one of the reason I am here on heelspur.com

Re: Dr Z

Julie on 9/22/04 at 09:30 (160331)

Yes. He was a good new poster on the board, and I hope he will return once he has unpacked. Maybe it would be a good idea for you send him an encouraging email?

Chief Financial Officer on 9/24/04 at 19:56 (160454)

'PS. What is the poster's name, and what has he/she done with their life?'

Their name does not matter because, obviously they have done noting with their life. That would explain the anger in their post. That was a good story and you have some solid credentials. I hope you saty and post more.