Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Unsuccessful PF Surgery

Posted by Angel427 on 9/10/04 at 11:30 (159638)

I'm 30 years old and I had PF surgery on my heel the end of May 2004. Since then I've been in more pain than prior to surgery. I have orthodics that I wear every moment of the day. I'm still putting ice on it and still stretching it and taking as meds. for pain. What do I do now? I can't keep going on with so much pain. Please advise. Thank you.

Re: Unsuccessful PF Surgery

Dr. Z on 9/10/04 at 12:13 (159641)

Hi

We have used ESWT for cases just like yours. If you would like information about our ESWT program just e-mail Dr. Z at (email removed). Feel free to ask any question

Kristie on 9/10/04 at 16:04 (159670)

Im so sorry to read about your pain. PT helped a lot in getting down the swelling and decrease the pain after my surgery also in May. I also had a couple of foot massages that helped a lot. I go to a foot reflexologist. I wish I could see her every week but it gets expensive after a while.

The exercises also the Physical Therapists gave me helped in decreasing the swelling. Also, keep your foot elevated above your heart. My doctor's best advice to me was try a stay off of your foot as much as possible so that it can heal and the swelling can go down.

Good Luck. I hope your pain goes away soon

Liz on 9/10/04 at 18:24 (159678)

Hi, I had my surgery, open release 14 months ago and it is now more painful than before the surgery. The thing that helps the most is to stay off my feet. But I do not want to do that too much. I have treid it all, acupuncture, physical therapy,choropractor, ilcing, night splint, etc. So I do not know what to do.

Liz on 9/10/04 at 18:25 (159679)

One other thing, I have pain in new places, plus the regular first step pain. It hurts up the back of my heel and sometimes on the outside of the foot, but mostly in the arch and the middle of the h eel. It also hurts on the inside of my ankle.

Liz on 9/10/04 at 18:28 (159685)

Hi, I had my surgery, open release 14 months ago and it is now more painful than before the surgery. The thing that helps the most is to stay off my feet. But I do not want to do that too much. I have treid it all, acupuncture, physical therapy,chiropractor, icing, night splint, etc. So I do not know what to do.

Re: so sorry for the miltiple posts. computer messing up on me.

Liz on 9/10/04 at 18:29 (159687)

So sorry for the multiple posts

Pauline on 9/10/04 at 19:20 (159695)

Liz,
I'm not a doctor, but before you do anything please do a search on this site under, the name Tammie. She recently posted, but some of her older posts may ring a bell with what you are currently experiencing.

She'd be the first to tell you not to follow in her foot steps and by reading her archived posts you might learn from her mistakes and avoid the same outcome.

Dr. Z on 9/10/04 at 20:33 (159704)

Didn't Tammie have RSD.??? This appears to be a case completely unlike Tammie's

Liz on 9/10/04 at 20:42 (159708)

Thanks so much. Do I just type in her name under search?

Liz on 9/10/04 at 20:43 (159709)

Dr. Z, what do you think it might be if it is not RSD? RSD is a nerve kproblem, right? Thanks so much for your time.

Pauline on 9/10/04 at 21:44 (159710)

Tammie problems began with having P.F. surgery which then snowballed into
a TTS surgery that finally left here with RSD I believe.

I think her latest post sums it up:

Hi I am that Tammie View Thread
Posted by Tammie on 9/04/04 at 01:29

I just happen to visit tonight as I cannot sleep as usual, and thought I might see how my friends here are doing. I was sad to read that Christy you sound so very much like I did two years ago! Gosh is it that long already , it seems as tho it was yesterday still.What was to be a 'simple' surgery and have me back in tennis shoes in ten days and my life would return to normal, turned into the worse nightmare that anyone could ever imagine and I still haven't woke up as it continues each day.

I thought I made the right choices also And maybe I did , for the first surgery but if to do over again , I swear I would not let a sharp object near my foot again at least very doubtful and NEVERNEVER tarsal tunnel Sorry but I see a pain management and each time there are so many of us there and seems like so many are related to things gone wrong in that type of surgery or after that . There is so many things that COULD cause RSD of course but then there are down right signs that good Dr.s who know what they are looking for should know what they are and when there is more pain that is considered NORMAL or wayyyy out of proportion to the injury or surgury it means stopppp no more surgury find out whyyyyy first. Before your life turns into a brutal nightmare with a sad ending.

I was like you worried to get back to work, loved my job went back with pain still there worked a few months if , and now I will most likly never work again in my life. If I can keep walking will be the challenge of my time now. I have spreadage, I have had a spinal stimulator put in 5 or so revision surguries on it, several meds and my currant ones I am unable to drive do much of anything due to pain my toes are like curling under now and loosing muscle in leg and foot looks verry odd. No dear if it were me I would stop now and see how this goes take that time to heal you have to have surgery in feb right? Well give yourself time to heal the see maybe things will be better then? Can take a year to heal and give it that much time dont jump before the time. If your foot is super sensitive massage it if you feel the pain is much more then reasonable and your dr. seems worried aske him about RSD or CRPS there is always no shame into another Dr.s thoughts also always better safe then sorry later. No rush there is all the time as if it would turn out like mine you wouldnt be worrying about returning to any job a year or so later, as you wouldnt be able to . Getting SSD is not fun either it is degrading and very difficult when you look normal one minute and then the next in pain or symptoms of the rsd it is hard for most people to see. I have been put threw a small heck of my own dealing with people and lawyers and getting ready to see a judge and prove to him I cant work.

You live a life on narcotics and several other meds to go along with other symptoms of RSD and then the emotional aspects as well you end up with a couple of the antidepressants.I am only telling you this gruesome details not to get piety or anything like this it is to show you or anyone just what it could mean if YOU decide to be cut and it is the wrong DR or if the DR. really makes a mistake or you push to do things before they really have tried everything possible. Even consider getting some help with pain such as seeing a pain management Dr. while being treated for foot troubles if it is that painful and lack of sleep and such and you have the DR> who does not think you need anything you are a baby kinda DR. PLEASE I do ask you all to really think before the surgeries. I am NOT against all surgery or surgeons I think YOU have to research and I really mean research the Dr.s and the procedures they wish to do and the good and bad and ask what they shall do if it does not work and all questions you can think of first!

That was something I learned later much later I ran into some ladies that had seen same Dr. as I had and guess what? They had foot problems also he liked to jump into surgery and tell you he did everything he could , yada yada. The wife of his also a Dr. was supposed to be the best she did the non surgical methods right after I left there and she was known to have a attitude but latter was found she grew tired of fixing her husbands botched foot jobs. To bad couldnt have got this info 2 yrs ago. So asking around does help! Pain managements in area were helpful in this case I would have not thought of that.Please dont be offended I only stopped to give my story a update and to allow someone to hopefully not be in my place it is very lonely but I dont want to have any more company lol You need to get healthy and enjoy them feet and please tell all those you know take care you only get one set! My family says I would be good for a comercial as I tell everyone and watch everynes shoes and how they walk .
Good luck if you ned anything post and use my name I will get it !

Pauline on 9/10/04 at 22:04 (159712)

Another of Tammie's posts: She has been through a lot, more than anyone should have to and it began with a simple P.F. surgery. I hope she continues to post and tell her story. It's one that I'll never forget nor will most people that read it on this board.

Re: Surgery next? View Thread
Posted by Tammie on 7/28/03 at 23:29

Rick Please Think about that second surgery! It didnt work the first time You said although if I read right you said it was this last May? If so that is not very long for you healing as it can take up to 6 months or a yr at that not a good reason to jump into another surgery! I am telling you this because if you search back on my name you will see that I to had the surgery for the heel spur and the pf release and no not work to well so they went back in thinking it was a nerve compressed and guess what? I now have RSD and most of my Dr.s who have DX me have told me they feel I had it before my second surgery . Not being able to examin me tho they could not tell me positivly but there feelings on what I had described told them enough that they felt they should have not done the surgery and they should have done some testing such as perhaps a MRI a Nerve testing More PT even But not more surgery .

It is not my decision to make for you but If I could change your mind slightly I would tell you to run like the wind and find some other Dr.s and search for the ones who tell you it has not been that long to heal! Rick a few months may make a big difference in the rest of your life ,Really get some other dr.s thoughts take the time it is really worth it learn from my mistakes. I know have a spinal stimulaator in dealing with RSD this started out with me having a heel spur and pf surgery DR told me no troubles be back in shoes in 10 days whatever and it went into another surgery and then my nightmare began leading into a fianl dx of RSD so please dont rush the surgery , take the time find other dr.s You need to question WHY it didnt work anyways dont you? Good Luck to what ever you do!

Dr. Z on 9/11/04 at 07:24 (159724)

Liz,
It is one a complication due to weight transfer instability from th cutting of teh plantar fascia. If the fascia heals the problem should resolve. This is why I have suggested ESWT

Dr. Z on 9/11/04 at 07:32 (159726)

Pauline,
I bet there are still physicians out there that don't believe RSD even exists. I remember in my early years of practice I never saw RSD. Today I see alot more cases that I consult on. Maybe because I am more expereienced, maybe because I see more work accident related patients.
I just wonder why there are more cases out there. Just for the record RSD is real and MUST be treated early for any chance of successful resolution. It isn't that difficult of a diseasae to diagnosis and treat
I have seen a few cases that I call local RSD. This is where the area is isolated to one specific nerve area. Pain management consultation can't come up with the RDS diagnosis, it smells, looks and feels like RSD so
treat it like it is