Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Let freedom ring!

Posted by Suzanne D. on 9/11/04 at 09:47 (159735)

We remember....

Re: Let freedom ring!

Dr. Z on 9/11/04 at 13:59 (159739)

A very strange thing happen to me today. I went to a childrens discovery museum. Part of the program was a releasing of butterflies for the kids.
There was this man who spoke about butterflies. We then went outside and he gave this long speech about freedom etc etc and how this was a special day and on and on . I was waiting for him to mention 911 but he didn't . He called this a special day because we were RELEASING.(butterfly freedom) I was shocked. My mouth was wide open. I was 100% sure the special day was in reference to 911 but is was about releasing butterflies. Oh Boy !!!

Suzanne D. on 9/11/04 at 15:23 (159744)

That would have surprised me, too, Dr. Z. But do you think that since it was a program at a children's museum that he thought he shouldn't make reference to the events of 9-11? It does seem that something could have been said for the benefit of the adults and older children present who are remembering 9-11. That could have been done without going into details that would have scared the young children.

When we put the date on the calendar in my classroom yesterday, of course September 11 was on my mind. For a brief moment I was almost surprised that none of the children mentioned the next day being the 11th. Then I quickly remembered that my students are 6 years old, so they were 3 when those events took place and have no memory of it. That seemed strange somehow - that enough time has now gone by that a new group of children are not even aware of what happened. How quickly time passes...

Suzanne :)

Dr. Z on 9/11/04 at 17:40 (159749)

Good point. It was just so strange when he left out 911 I was also listening to the TV coverage and the naming of the lost ones just before I drove to for the children museum.

Linda V. on 9/11/04 at 21:39 (159763)

These youngsters growing up will never fully realize what 9-11 means for us. No more than my 28 year old daughter could understand Vietnam, Kent State, the free-love hippie era, etc. Its just something they read in a book or see clips of on tv..but it doesn't really impact them.
And then again...I am sure my Dad was right when he thought I didn't understand Pearl Harbor..and I couldn't understand why he would wince everytime I bought a Japanese car.

Suzanne D. on 9/11/04 at 21:49 (159766)

Good point, Linda. One of my good friends in high school was forbidden to buy anything Japanese-made because her mother was a nurse stationed in Japan during World War II. My friend found this frustrating but had to respect the wishes of her mother.

I took German in high school from my favorite teacher. Sometimes I went to my mother's place pf work after school, and Mama asked me to please never bring my German book into the office. She had a co-worker who lost her husband on D-Day, and Mama said there was nothing wrong with me taking German, but she didn't want to hurt her friend. So I stopped at my mother's car and put my books inside before I went in.

We never have the same perspective on events if they were not personal to us, I suppose.

Suzanne D. on 9/11/04 at 21:50 (159767)

That should have been 'my mother's place OF work' not 'place pf work'. I must have 'pf' on the brain!

Suzanne D. on 9/11/04 at 21:59 (159772)

I understand what you mean...

john h on 9/13/04 at 09:02 (159811)

In the 50's and late 40's anything made in Japan was considered junk by most people. Actually at that time they just made junky little trinkets. German cameras after the war continued just like before the war some of the best cameras in the world.