Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Blood supply to lower extremities

Posted by Linda V. on 9/13/04 at 15:53 (159825)

Hi,
I would be interested to know (nosy nurse, but oncology--i know NOTHING of feet)..if you see a co-relation to foot problems (PF) and circulatory disorders like PVD. I'm 50, but know i have lousy circulation. Can barely feel a pedal pulse on right (first foot to get PF) and its weak on left (developed later). Both parents have varicose veins (me too) and Dad has PVD. So, does this make it harder for the blood to keep this area healthy, reduce inflammation, etc?
What can be done to improve circulation? other than the obvious. are there any medications that do that? Do patients ever go see vascular docs to improve circulation? Is this why the mornings are so tough?
thanks,
linda

Re: Blood supply to lower extremities

john king on 9/14/04 at 15:01 (159871)

Linda

If you have poor circulation in your feet it is very important to take care of any injuries or sores on your feet. Because of poor circulation it is hard for antibiotics to get to the infected areas. Exercise is very important to keep the blood flow.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/14/04 at 16:23 (159883)

Linda:

Poor circulation is rarely the cause of the morning pain in PF. If there are any doubts about your circulation, a non-invasive vascualr exam can be done --- relatively painless.
Ed

Julie on 9/15/04 at 02:21 (159916)

Linda, as you know I'm not medically qualified (and surely have less knowledge than you have, as a nurse!) But tendons have a poor blood supply, so I would guess that poor circulation to the extremities, while not a causal factor in PF pain, would have a deterrent effect on the healing process, and that anything that increases the blood supply helps. After all, the point of ESWT, and the reason why it's deemed to be an effective treatment, is that it stimulates bleeding to the insertion point, thus kick-starting the healing process.

One of the effects of the yoga foot exercises, which I think you are doing, is to increase circulation.