Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

NCV tomorrow..what does it REALLY feel like?

Posted by Mel on 9/14/04 at 16:26 (159887)

I'm not chicken, but how bad is it? I know how the jolts feel when I get them, not too good. They take me by surpirse and I jump. Is it the same with this test? And they say it takes 45 minutes, are they zapping you the whole time?

Mel

Re: NCV tomorrow..what does it REALLY feel like?

Ann L on 9/14/04 at 17:49 (159895)

Mel,

NCV is not pleasant, but it is doable. You do have some warning when you are going to be 'zapped.' Part of the length of time is set up, adjustments, preparing for testing of different nerves. There is a computer that takes readings, and evaluations will be made as the test progresses, and it takes time, so, thank goodness - no zapping during parts of the test. I did have a couple jolts that were a little tough, but that was because of repeat testing over same areas to confirm that it was a nerve problem, not error in testing. The neurologist that did my NCV did let me know beforehand when it would be a little tougher, so I could be better prepared. Good luck on your test!

Ann

Mel on 9/14/04 at 18:05 (159896)

Thanks Ann.....that gives me a way to prepare.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for a result of some sort. I am happy that they can tell you right away.

Mel

LARA on 9/14/04 at 21:02 (159906)

I agree with Ann. I likened mine to a visit to the dentist. Not exactly a peak experience, but not that bad. No recovery time at all. Whatever discomfort there is is momentary. I doubt any discomfort lasts an entire second. Maybe two seconds. I doubt much longer than that when I had my test.

LARA on 9/14/04 at 21:04 (159907)

Sort of. If there is a positive test, then they can tell you, although they may leave it to your doctor to tell you. However a negative result doesn't necessarily mean you don't have TTS.