Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Take care, Carole C...

Posted by Suzanne D. on 9/15/04 at 06:34 (159922)

As I read this morning about Hurricane Ivan approaching New Orleans, I am thinking of you and saying a prayer for your safety, Carole...

Suzanne :)

Re: Take care, Carole C...

Kathy G on 9/15/04 at 08:00 (159932)

Yes, I've been thinking of her, too. From what I can gather, it doesn't matter where you live in New Orleans, they want everyone to evacuate. It must be very scary.

I'm sure everyone here is thinking good thoughts for Carole!

john h on 9/15/04 at 11:16 (159943)

I was in Destin,FL some years ago when a hurricane hit dead center just to the west. I was on the 11th floor of a high rise directly on the beach. The night before the storm hit my wife nagged me until I called the airline and changed our reservation to leave the following morning at 8am. The storm was scheduled to hit that day in the late afternoon. The next morning my drive to the airport was like a drive to hell. Winds at 85 knots and driving rain. Roads nearly impassable. At the airport our plane would be the last one to make it out. Winds were already in the 80 knot range but fortunately straight down the runway. I am sure we violated some regulations in taking off with winds so high. Hundreds of people were trying desperately to get on our plane but I would not have sold my ticket for $2000. When the storm surge hit it took out all the cars in the parking lot of my condo (I had a rented car). The condo was sort of on a little strip of land with only one way in. People who stayed were unable to leave for a week with no electricity or water as the road was washed away. The main highway between Destin and Ft Walton was under water and destroyed. This was the road I took to the airport. Thank God for nagging wives as I wanted to see the hurricane from my 11th floor balacony facing the ocean. I must have had to much wine.

marie on 9/15/04 at 17:35 (159960)

Carole......I hope your somehwere safe and not reading this message. Take care sweetie!

JudyS on 9/16/04 at 09:37 (159980)

Ditto that Carole - I've been thinking about you and hoped to 'see' you here but I imagine you have other things on your mind....

JudyS on 9/16/04 at 09:40 (159982)

Holy Cow!
Did I hear John h say 'thank God for nagging wives....'?

Re: Nagging wifes

john h on 9/16/04 at 16:23 (159993)

'nagging wives'? is that an oxymoron?

Carole C in NOLA on 9/16/04 at 19:20 (160003)

Thanks, everyone. I left New Orleans at 4 AM on Tuesday, and got the last motel room in Memphis. Then I called my brothers to tell them that I was OK. George (my brother in St. Louis) was back in St. Louis though I thought he was elsewhere. He invited me up there, so I drove up to St. Louis.

I admit it... I was scared to death of this hurricane! :)

Anyway, today I drove back to New Orleans. Just got here, and found out that I had NO damage!!! (WHEW!!!!!) At last I can relax. I also have electricity and cable. New Orleans looks like normal, except that half the houses are still boarded up. Life is good.

I just hope that Mobile and Pensacola and other places in the South were not damaged too awfully. I haven't seen the news yet.

Carole C

Suzanne D. on 9/16/04 at 19:58 (160007)

Oh, good, Carole! I am so happy to read that you are alright and that your house suffered no damage. I remember all the care and work that went into your selection of the house and your moving in.

Enjoy your home once again, and get some rest! Thanks for letting us know that you're o.k.!

marie on 9/16/04 at 20:17 (160009)

Good to hear from you Carole. Glad your home is ok.

marie :)

Julie on 9/17/04 at 01:35 (160032)

Carole! Thank goodness you're safe and that your beloved house wasn't damaged. Many thanks for letting us know.

Take care. I hope no more Ivans come your way.

Carole C in NOLA on 9/17/04 at 07:15 (160036)

Thanks, Suzanne! I slept like a baby for a long time last night. It was great to be back in my own bed. The building where I work is closed until Monday, so today I can put things away.

During hurricanes one is supposed to bring in anything in the yard that the wind could pick up and hurl. This included a lot of items such as the lawn furniture and my new propane grill which I had brought into my living room. Since the instruction manual said not to store the propane tank indoors, I chained and padlocked it to a very sturdy metal fence post in the back yard. Now it's time to find the key to that padlock.

I also had many other back yard items to bring in such as my brand new iron 'boy with dolphin' sculpture (more accurately, 'toddler boy sort of like a Cupid, riding a big fish'). It is quite a heavy sculpture, being solid iron and a couple of feet high and perhaps 70-100 pounds, but I brought it in anyway. It only cost $35 since the boy is a little damaged and missing a foot, but to me it is beautiful. I also brought in my iron frogs but left the three foot tall stone Indian Brave sculpture which was too heavy for me to move.

So, as you can imagine, I have my work cut out for me today.

I am so relieved to have been missed by Ivan. How fortunate I am. I saw the utter devastation in the Gulf Shores area on TV last night. How awful! Those poor people. Some homes were completely swept away and gone.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 9/17/04 at 07:15 (160037)

Thanks, marie. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 9/17/04 at 07:19 (160038)

Thanks, Julie! I am so happy, and I'm so glad to know that you and others share in my relief and joy that my house (and the rest of the beautiful and historic city of New Orleans) were not damaged.

I hope no more Ivans come this way, too! I think I've had enough of hurricanes for a lifetime.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 9/17/04 at 07:24 (160039)

I hope you don't still own that condo, John! From what I heard on the 10 PM news last night, a lot of condos near the water in that area had considerable damage. :(

Carole C

Re: Hurricanes

Julie on 9/17/04 at 08:39 (160042)

An article in the science supplement of yesterday's Guardian said that the severe recent hurricanes aren't due to global warming, as some think. Hurricanes apparently follow 20-year cycles of severe and calm (perhaps that should be 'not so severe' :)) and we are apparently at about the 10-year point of a severe cycle.

I hope I've got that right. It's interesting to know that we can't blame everything on climate change.

Anyway, no more Ivans or Franceses for you, Carole.

john h on 9/17/04 at 09:32 (160044)

I have spent a few vacations in Gulf Shores as it is only a days drive from Little Rock. There is a geat old Hotel near there named the Grand Hotel located on Mobile Bay. I have stayed there several times. They were doing some interview there on the networks before the storm hit. Hope it survived. Scott R I think vacations in Gulf Shores as this is not far from his home in Montgomery.

Carole C in NOLA on 9/17/04 at 10:17 (160050)

My friend Frank lives in a trailer in a small town just south of Montgomery. He left, but called his trailer park manager. It turns out that all the trailers are OK, with minor damage only.

So, maybe Scott's home in Montgomery is all right, though I would imagine most places in Gulf Shores sustained quite a lot of damage.

It's scary. I used to daydream of someday owning a vacation condo at Gulf Shores, as many New Orleanians do. Not me, not any more. At least, not unless I win the lottery or something.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 9/17/04 at 10:20 (160051)

Thanks, Julie. I am wishing Hurricane/TropicalStorm Jeanne out into the Pacific. We have had entirely too many landfalling hurricanes already this season.

I sort of suspected this could happen, when we got to the end of July without even a single tropical storm. It seemed like Mother Nature was gathering up all her energy for this bombardment.

CArole C

Kathy G on 9/17/04 at 10:44 (160054)

Carole,

So glad to hear that you're all right and your house escaped damage. This has been one mean hurricane season and I agree that everyone would be happy in Jeanne would just fizzle out somewhere over the ocean.

I'm glad Frank's trailer didn't get damaged. Trailers always seem to suffer the most.

They said this was going to be a bad hurricane season and they weren't fooling. Personally, I'm hoping if we get a new one, they don't name it Kathy or Kathleen or I'll never live it down! I can't remember the last time we got up to the K's. I'll have to go to the hurricane center website and read up on all this.

Good to hear from you, Carole!

Julie on 9/17/04 at 11:12 (160061)

Kathy, 'K' comes right after 'J' (or did the last time I looked). It's almost bound to happen, but I'll cross my toes for you that the K-storm isn't a Kathy.

Is Kathy short for Kathleen?

Bev on 9/17/04 at 11:55 (160064)

Carole C,

I am so happy that you were spared the hurricane , Carole :) I was thinking about you the whole time . Even though I am not on the board, I think about you all a lot. With my sore feet, I can't help but think of all of you who have helped me get through all of this for the past years.
My sister in Alabama had bad storms and the pool was full of leaves but no trees were downed , so that was good. We all were supposed to vacation in Golf Shores at their friends condo next year , however I don't know now if it was spared the hurricane or not.
It has been a very busy summer for us (husband is retired too now ) with the children, grandchildren, traveling, and all , so I have not been on the boards .Winter is also going to be busy also for us too with trips and the children and all too. We had a new grandson 2 months ago and he is adorable :))
Hello to everyone and I pray you all are well. Bev

john h on 9/17/04 at 12:21 (160068)

K stands for strikeout in my world.

Carole C in NOLA on 9/17/04 at 13:34 (160072)

Good to hear from you, Bev! And thanks for the kind thoughts. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 9/17/04 at 13:35 (160073)

It's Karl, this year.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 9/17/04 at 13:36 (160074)

KO stands for Knock Out in boxing. But then you knew that! :)

Carole C

marie on 9/17/04 at 15:41 (160084)

Bev,

nice to here from you and congratulations on the grandson!!!!

marie

Kathy G on 9/17/04 at 20:29 (160102)

I'm glad to hear that, Carole. I spent years living down the 'Chatty Cathy' doll that was popular when I was about ten. Needless to say, I've always been talkative and my fifth grade teacher had a wonderful time with that doll despite the fact that I kept reminding him that I was 'Kathy with a K!'

And yes, Julie, my 'Sunday name' is Kathleen which I much prefer over Kathy. When I asked my mother why she gave me a name as pretty as Kathleen and then called me 'Kathy,' she said the only reason she named me Kathleen was so she could call me 'Kathy' because she loved the name.

On occasion, I introduce myself as 'Kathleen' so some people do call me that. But, by and large, I'll always be Kathy, I guess!

Julie on 9/18/04 at 02:50 (160107)

Kathy

Kathleen IS a lovely, euphonious name. It always makes me think of that beautiful song, 'I'll take you home again Kathleen'. I think I will call you Kathleen from now on. :)

It's funny you should mention 'Sunday name'. I'd never heard of that before last weekend, when I was up in the north of England leading a weekend yoga course for a group of folks almost all unknown to me and some to each other. I started with an introduction session, and one woman introduced herself saying 'I'm Pat, but tomorrow I'll be Patricia'. When asked why, she said it was her 'Sunday name', suggested by a fellow church-goer when she was a girl. That led to everyone else in the room saying what their Sunday names would be, some of them invented and some very silly. There was lots of laughter, which got us off to a good start, after which the weekend went very well!

'Bye Kathleen. ;)

Cyndi on 9/18/04 at 18:34 (160134)

Carole, your post on the backyard furniture we heard also, we had put everything in the garage during the storm. I even got a percolater so I could make my coffee on the grill cook spot. I did have fun watching the birds get under our covered porch, they rode the fan blades around and around. My Nephew is in NO and they went to Texas. All was ok when they returned home also to a house they just built.
All the hotels were also filled here in B'ham with folks moving inland.

No More Hurricanes in 2004- enough already!

DonnaO on 9/18/04 at 18:58 (160135)

Hi Carole,
I want to tell everyone that you are in my prayers during this hurricane season.
Carole, I am also from NOLA and evacuated to Memphis. My family and friends left on Tues. at about 4:30p.m. and arrived at the La Quinta Inn at about 8:30a.m. on Wed. We left to come back at 9:30a.m. on Friday and arrived home that evening at 7:30p.m.
What hotel did you stay at? I was very pleased with La Quinta Inn because they are pet friendly and seemed to have alot of respect for the animals. I have a Cairn Terrier and a West Highland White Terrier. When we all arrived at the hotel, one of the guest who was leaving asked if there was a dog show in town! I was so proud of how the dogs behaved on the ride up, down, and at the hotel. They slept at the foot of the bed the entire time.
We were very lucky that we did not have damage. I saw footage of the damage of Mobile and Pensicola last night. I pray that they are safe and are able to get their lives back together soon. Best wishes to all of us during the remaining Hurricanes that are developing. Take care.
DonnaO

Carole C in NOLA on 9/18/04 at 19:38 (160137)

I talked to a woman today who went to Houston, and it took her 30 hours to get there (usually it's about 6 hours). She had a parent with Alzheimers in the car so that was probably quite difficult.

I got the last motel room in Memphis, I think. It only took me 6-7 hours, but I left at 4 AM on Tuesday. That afternoon on TV I watched traffic gridlock on I-55, which I had traveled earlier in the day.

The Mayor of New Orleans told us Monday night to avoid Birmingham. He said, 'go west, go northwest, but DO NOT go to Birmingham because the storm is going there'. He's such a good mayor. If he hadn't said that, we'd probably have sent another million your way. It sounds like you didn't need any more evacuees!

My house is gradually getting back in order. I still have to put away a zillion photo albums that I took with me. It is impossible to do that without spending time paging through them.

I agree! No More Hurricanes Making Landfall in 2004!!!

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 9/18/04 at 19:58 (160139)

Hi, Donna... glad to meet another New Orleanian here (sorry if foot pain brought you here, though!). And thanks for the kind thoughts. What a trip that must have been for you... 16 hours to get to Memphis, with dogs and family. Whew. Pretty scary, with Ivan on your heels.

I'm so glad that I left at 4 AM on Tuesday instead of 4 PM. Luckily for me it only took 6-7 hours at that time in the morning. There was NO traffic, though I-55 between NOLA and Hammond was almost entirely one lane due to construction and they hadn't started the counterflow yet, and there was a little fog. Coming back on Thursday, I left St. Louis at 8 AM and got to Memphis about noon. I arrived at my house just before 7 PM while it was still light. Again there was not much traffic except for a lot of tree shredders, trash trucks, and other trucks. Probably they were on their way south to help out.

In the Memphis area I stayed at the Quality Inn, which doesn't allow pets. Since I hadn't made a reservation, and have no pets, and would take any room, that worked out just fine for me. It was a simple room but clean, quiet, and just what I needed... a safe retreat with a good TV to watch the Weather Channel.

We were all VERY lucky, you're right. Looking at those photos of Gulf Shores, I am so thankful that we were not devastated by Ivan as they were. To lose one's whole community like that would be frightful. Hope this hurricane season leaves all of us safe and our homes in one piece.

Carole C

JudyS on 9/18/04 at 21:43 (160146)

Carole, your description of the art-artifacts you have decorating your back yard makes me want to go spend some time there!

JudyS on 9/18/04 at 22:04 (160148)

Carole - did you have to go that far just to get out of range of the storm? What did Frank do?

Carole C in NOLA on 9/18/04 at 23:18 (160150)

Thank you, Judy! I love my back yard. It's small but with all the lush tropical foliage from the banana trees in front of the fences, it's entirely private. My neighbors are extremely quiet, too, so it seems completely remote (except that I know it is not). It is a wonderful place for me to get away from the 'hustle and bustle' of daily life and enjoy the outdoors.

Meanwhile, I love sitting out there and reading or dozing. Me and my garden sculptures. I plan to get a birdbath for it too, once I find one that appeals to me. You would love it there, too. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 9/18/04 at 23:34 (160152)

I had to go as far as Memphis, because people reserving hotel rooms had filled up all the rooms closer than that by Monday. I didn't want to reserve a room because I prefer driving further if it means having more flexibility. Since this storm was so strong and we didn't know where it was going, evacuating to Memphis was not unreasonable.

When I got to Memphis, I called my brothers (and others) on their cell phones to tell them that I was OK and out of harm's way. George, my brother in St. Louis, had returned to his home unexpectedly soon and so he invited me up there. That way we could visit and I saved quite a bit on motel bills; my Camry Solara only used about $20 worth of gas for that leg of the trip. I didn't have to drive to St. Louis to get away from the storm.

Frank drove a long distance, also. He owns a house in Pennsylvania that he is putting on the market this week, and had been thinking of going up there sometime this month anyway to talk to a realtor. This was the perfect opportunity. So, he drove to Pennsylvania.

Some people that I know didn't evacuate at all, and some only went as far as Baton Rouge. Having lived in Baton Rouge, I do feel it is safer there but I'd rather be further away from the Gulf during a Category 4 hurricane like Ivan. Jackson MS or Alexandria LA would probably be all right but if we had sustained a direct hit, they would lose power and get some pretty strong winds and rain, too. It's all academic since I couldn't have gotten a room there.

Carole C

Re: Kathleen...

Suzanne D. on 9/19/04 at 07:10 (160160)

Julie, I know the song, 'I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen', too. It is beautiful and was one of my mother's favorites. I hadn't thought of the song in years; thanks for mentioning it!

Kathy, in my 1970 high school graduating class of approximately 120, six girls were named Kathy! I think most were Kathleens although I know at least one was Kathryn. In recent years I haven't taught many little girls named Kathy; popularity of names seem to go in waves. I have had many Jessicas, Briannas (Breanna, Breaunna), and a host of Katlyns (Katelin, Katelynn, Caitlyn). This year I have Dylon and Dylan, and across the hall is Dillon. Sometimes it's like a spelling test for the teacher to keep all the names straight!

Re: backyard description...

Suzanne D. on 9/19/04 at 07:47 (160161)

Yes, Carole, your backyard does indeed sound lovely! I always enjoyed your posts about your home, and it has been good to read these latest descriptions.

I hope you are having a restful weekend!

Headlines this morning tell us that our state education association has called for a 'day of protest' (not coming to work) on September 27, and if demands concerning health insurance are not met, a strike on October 27 to continue until demands are met. I've never been put in this situation before in my 24 years of teaching.

I think I would like to retreat to your backyard!

Re: backyard description...

Carole C in NOLA on 9/19/04 at 09:51 (160166)

Oh my! I don't blame you for wanting a retreat right now! I hope you don't have to strike. Your health insurance situation sounds awful.

Since I am a federal employee, my health insurance is pretty good (at least for now). But it seems like everyone else is having a terrible time with insurance. My daughter does not even have insurance, and neither does Frank. That is pretty scary!

Today I have to go grocery shopping, and then I need to review a paper that I brought home from work. The deadline is tomorrow and I had planned to work on it up north, but I forgot it during the evacuation.

Carole C

Re: Kathleen...

Kathy G on 9/19/04 at 10:48 (160167)

You're right, Suzanne. Neither my daughter nor my son had any Kathleen's or Kathy's in their class, although there were a number of Katie's. And now, my teacher friends tell me they never see a Kathleen or a Kathy, just a few Catelynn's, Katelyn's, and variations thereof. It occurred to me that while I think of names like Irene, Minnie, Iris and many others as being 'elderly' people's names, I myself possess a name that will soon be the same. And what's really strange is that I've never known an old 'Kathy' (no comments from you youngsters, please!). It just doesn't sound dignified enough to be the name of an elderly person. So when I'm old, not only will I wear purple with red, I may have to start a 'Kathy' club!