Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How long for a torn PF to heal?

Posted by DonnaG on 9/16/04 at 08:51 (159974)

What should I be doing to help it heal? The dr has me in a boot that reaches my knee for 3 weeks. I am on Bextra for 2 weeks, then I will be med free for a week before I go back to see the dr. Even with the Bextra, I do feel some pain in my heel. Not nearly as bad as before, but I am sure that is because of the pain med. Should I be trying to stay off of my foot as much as possible? I have not been doing this, and my life is pretty active. Also, the nurse thought the small boot was too small and put me in a med boot. Even with the boot as tight as I can make it (velcro won't hold any tighter), my foot slips around inside of the boot. Is this a problem? Will it delay healing? It has been 8 days, and I am sure if I go back now, they couldn't exchange the boot, and I am sure my insurance will not pay for a second boot.

Re: How long for a torn PF to heal?

Dr. Z on 9/16/04 at 18:26 (159997)

Pf tear can take months to get better. Up to six months to one year in some cases. Physical therapy can be very helpful during your healing time

Re: How long for a torn PF to heal?

DonnaG on 9/17/04 at 11:03 (160059)

Thank you. I was hoping you would say a month or so, but since I have had this pain for 1 1/2 years, what's another several months.