Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

standing on concrete floor all day

Posted by sandyc on 9/17/04 at 12:10 (160065)

My foot problems all started a few months ago. Very painful when I first get up although the heel pain gets better as I move around, but from the arch on up it hurts continuosly.It feels like someone has a death grip squeezing the sides of my foot from the arch up to my toes. It now seems to be moving up towards my ankle. I own a restaurant and cook there as well so it calls for me to be on my feet all day on a concrete floor. By days end it is very sore. If I sit any amount of time it just makes it worse. Do you have any suggestions that might help. Taking off for a few days would be impossible at this time.
sandyc

Re: standing on concrete floor all day

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/17/04 at 14:40 (160076)

sandyc:
It sounds like PF except for the 'squeezing.' I would get your foot checked by a pro to make sure that a stress fracture is not occurring. Any swelling or discoloration?
Ed

john king on 9/17/04 at 15:04 (160081)

Pushing heavy equiptment around on a concrete floor is what hurt my feet originally. Standing on concrete all day is really hard on the feet.If you could get a really thick rubber mat and stand on that it would help.

Julie on 9/17/04 at 15:45 (160086)

Sandy, are you sure that your shoes are the right size/fit for you? The painful, squeezing, death grip sensation you describe could be due to your feet swelling as a result of being on them all day in the heat of the kitchen. Look into this. An open sandal, like the Birkenstock Arizona, could give you some relief.

I'm not suggesting that you don't have real foot problems, and these need to be investigated by a podiatrist. But while you're searching for a diagnosis, attention to your footgear would probably help you pro tem.

sandyc on 9/18/04 at 00:48 (160105)

maybe a little swelling but no discoloration.

sandyc on 9/18/04 at 01:09 (160106)

Yes my shoes are the correct size. Now about a couple of months ago I went and bought a pair of new balance shoes and I have a narrow foot anyway. But the shoes I bought I believe were to narrow. I only wore them for 1 day before relizing they were making the arch area sore. So I discontinued using them But my foot problem had already started or rather my legs and feet were extra tired and sore and thats why I purchased the new balance to begin with but I am not sure as to when the heel and arch started, I guess I never gave it much thought. But I will take your advice about the Birkenstocks. I owned a pair of them years ago, Arizona's as a matter of fact. And you are so right, they are excellent shoes They are also great for your back. Thanks for the info.

sandyc on 9/18/04 at 12:12 (160115)

maybe a little swelling but no discoloration.