Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

help needed for night splint

Posted by z.g on 9/18/04 at 04:00 (160108)

i want to buy a night splint, i have some questions :
is the angle of the night splint 'fixed' or should it be adjustable ?
how long should i use the night splint (6 weeks or all the time?)
what is the angle that should be between the leg and the feet ?

i dont live in U.S and where i live a standard night splint costs ~125$ therefore im thinking of buying it through the net, do you have a recomendation ?

Re: help needed for night splint

Julie on 9/18/04 at 05:30 (160109)

The night splint sold on this site, the N'Ice n' Stretch, is considered to be the most comfortable, and therefore the most tolerable. Scott R, the webmaster, sometimes has returned splints for sale which he sells at a lower price: this would be worth asking about. There should be a link on the home page.

The angle is usually adjustable, and you need to find the angle that will be comfortable yet effective for you. There is no one answer to this question. Too loose and it won't do the job, too tight and it will hurt and you'll want to remove it. The tension depends on you and your muscles.

The purpose of the night splint is to maintain the gastrocnemius and soleus muscles and the achilles tendon in a gently lengthened state overnight. This minimises the 'first step' pain in the morning, and over a period of time can help to stretch out shortened, tightened muscles. I wouldn't have thought six weeks would be long enough to have a permanent effect.

You can also wear the splint during the day, while working at a desk or watching TV.

It's a good idea to do some simple foot exercises in bed before getting up in the morning. This too will minimise first step pain. Click on the word yoga here, and you'll be taken to them.

Re: help needed for night splint

Dr. David S. Wander on 9/18/04 at 08:11 (160110)

Having prescribed virtually every type of night splint available, the overwhelming favorite in my office is the Strassburg Sock. It is not bulky, relatively inexpensive (under $40.00) and is very well tolerated. It even allows patients to walk on it if necessary to get up and go to the bathroom, etc. Additionally, it allows for stretching of the gastroc-soleus complex as well as the intrinsic muscles of the foot, since it dorsiflexes the toes. I have absolutely no financial interest in this company, but can tell you of my office experience, having prescribed hundreds of night splints. Do a search on the Strassburg Sock and you'll find more information. No matter which nightsplint you use, you must be patient since the splint is slowly passively stretching the soft tissue structures.

Re: help needed for night splint (another question)

z.g on 9/18/04 at 15:17 (160125)

Thanks for the responses..
ive tried lately to 'improvize' (just to check no more) a night splint using elastic band and a book and to sleep with it with angle of 90 degree
(the elastic band is tied to the bed) it really helped me with the pain in the heel area, but it increased me (significantly) the pain near the toes and in the front part of the foot (also near the toes) !, is it possible that i should not be using a night splint ? (what i mean is if its a 'known' problem that night splint can cause pain in the front of the feet)

I WOULD REALY THANK YOUR ADVICE because im considering to order the night splint this week

Re: help needed for night splint (another question)

Julie on 9/19/04 at 01:59 (160153)

You probably had it too tight. I wouldn't judge the efficacy of a proper night splint, or Strassberg Sock, from the performance of an improvised tool.

The night splint is adjustable, so if it is correctly adjusted it shouldn't cause pain, though many people find it uncomfortable to sleep with. That's why I suggested the N'ice n' Stretch, which is a softer splint. The Strassberg Sock, if you decide to go down that route, is also adjustable.