Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Help please for arch and calf cramps.

Posted by Geri on 9/18/04 at 08:38 (160111)

Doctor's: I am 11 months postop tts surgery. I have 3 incisions: the ankle,top of foot and beside the knee. During the last week I have had severe cramping of my arch and calf. It seems to be mostly at night, but, sometimes it can happen during the day. It used to go away if I rubbed it or applied heat. It has not gone away with rubbing or sitting in the tub of warm water like it used to. The pain from the cramping has kept me awake the last few nights. My activity level has not changed this week. Please help if you have any suggestions.
Thankyou
Geri

Re: Help please for arch and calf cramps.

Dr. Z on 9/18/04 at 14:02 (160119)

Why an incsion behind the knee for TTS Surgery???

Geri on 9/18/04 at 14:10 (160120)

Dr. Z; The incision is on the side of my leg below the knee. My surgery was done by a plastic surgeon trained by Dr. Dellon. When the incisions healed he wanted me to return to my Doctor. My Doctor is an Internist. I have tried to find a Podiatrist but have had no luck finding one that has treated tts.

Re: Dr.Z.

Darlene on 9/18/04 at 15:49 (160126)

I think the incision is to release the peroneal nerve.

Geri - did you have numbness or pain on the top of your foot and/or first interspace?

Dr. Z on 9/18/04 at 16:15 (160128)

Hi

I am not familiar with any type of TTS surgery with these types of incision. Did you have nerve releases for neuropathy. It may be best to contact your surgeon at this point

Re: Dr.Z.

Dr. Z on 9/18/04 at 16:16 (160129)

I agree but this isn't typical for TTS surgery. This is done for neuropathy en tapement.

Terri on 9/19/04 at 21:59 (160184)

Geri,

I suffer cramping on a daily basis too, however mine has been there pre- and post-surgery for over 20 years now. Some things I do to alleviate it:

Calf stretches on a weight sled with my physical therapist/personal trainer

HOT baths - so hot you can hardly stand to sit in them, or a heating pad.

Neurontin - although I quit taking it some months ago, it did alleviate 90% of the cramping.

Wear good shoes with correct orthotics

Sports socks with a built-in arch support or compression socks

Don't go up on tiptoes or squat down on your toes. Either of these will send me directly into horrible cramps with no warning.

I've had a bad time recently with the cramps coming back and spoke to my trainer last Friday. We did a session of only p.t. instead of my weight training which included many different stretches involving the calves and ankles. I sometimes neglect to include this in my work-out schedule as often as I should and only ask for this when I've been having a bad spell. I can happily report I've had no cramping since Friday's session and have been able to sleep all night through, but, I do have to remember to pay attention and include this at least once/month minimum. I've also learned over the years that certain ways of placing my feet will set off cramps and learned to compensate (i.e., when I squat down, both feet are kept flat to the floor).

See your dr. and ask if p.t. may help you with this. Good luck!

Julie on 9/20/04 at 02:16 (160188)

In addition to Terri's good ideas I would suggest increasing your intake of calcium and magnesium, a deficiency of which minerals is a cause of cramp. A supplement, while not getting at the specific post-surgery cause of the problem, might give some relief.

Avoid lying in the prone position (on your front). This often causes nerve impingement which can cause cramp. (It happens to almost everyone in yoga postures that start from this position). You said the cramps occur mostly at night. If you're a belly sleeper, try sleeping on your sides or back.

The main problem area is probably the muscles, so keep them stretched out.