Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Spurs

Posted by SuzanneC on 9/18/04 at 14:37 (160123)

I have severe pain on the back of my heel --- about 2' up from the floor. There is an actual large bump in that area. I feel like i cant draw my toes back without feeling alot of pain and tightness. When i press on the actual spot it is very tender, but wrapping my fingers around the back of my ankle, and squeezing it, is almost unbearable. It also hurts very bad when i try to go up, or down stairs ---- the moving of my foot seems to irritate it, and make it hurt more. I dont know if its possible to have a spur grow on the back of the heel --- or what this could possibly be.

Re: Heel Spurs

DonnaG on 9/18/04 at 18:03 (160131)

Suzanne, I Don't know if that is what your problem is or not, but yes, you can have a heel spur on the back of your heel. I have one. I also have one on the bottom of the same heel. I read that heel spurs only occur on the bottom of the heel, but I know that is not true. My x-rays clearly showed both heel spurs.

SuzanneC on 9/18/04 at 20:30 (160142)

Donna G--
Thanks for your input. I had never heard of a spur being on the back of the heel --- so i automatically thought it had to be something else. If you can, please let me know what you did to treat yours --- and if it really helped. Thanks again for your reply.

Julie on 9/19/04 at 02:09 (160155)

Suzanne, this sounds as though it could be what's called a 'pump bump'. I believe women sometimes get it through wearing high heels (I say this from memory: I'm not sure). I'm sure you'll get a response from one of the doctors with more information.

Julie on 9/19/04 at 02:29 (160156)

Suzanne

I did a search on 'pump bump' and have copied this description by Dr Wander for you. (Haglund's Deformity is the proper name for pump bump.)

'Haglund's deformity is a bony prominence at the posterior (back), superior (top) part of the heel. Haglund's deformity is not the same as spurring at the back of the heel. A Haglund's deformity is essentially an 'odd' shape of the bone with a sharp angle causing a bony prominence, which often can irritate the Achilles and form an inflamed bursa. This is not always associated with a tight Achilles tendon, whereas spurring at the posterior aspect of the heel is usually associated with a tight Achilles tendon. Often, shoe accomodations or a change of shoes can alleviate the symptoms of Haglund's deformity. Additionally, there are silicone pads that can be used to decrease shoe irritation. Surgical correction is relatively simple and can usually be performed without disruption of the Achilles tendon. For more information, do a search on 'HAGLUND'S' deformity, also known as a 'pump bump' (from the irritation from women's pumps).'

I hope this is useful. You can use the search facility yourself to turn up past posts on Haglund's Deformity and Pump Bump.

Donald Iain Scott on 9/19/04 at 03:45 (160157)

Try retro calcaneal spur
X ray will show if that is the case
Associated with the Achilles tendonitis
Don

april m on 9/20/04 at 20:42 (160224)

yes i think i have heel spurs the heel of mt right foot hurts real bad espically when i stand on it are walk on it for a period of time. and i work in retail and iam standing mostly in one spot for 8 hours and it hurts real bad after an hour. so i was woundering what i could do about it. and iam over weight i have never been this fat before and i cannot get the weight off for nothing i have tried diets and diet pills. so i was hoping you could help me. i really want to loose weight so bad and i also have dont have any energy at all. iam 33 year old white female and iam 5'5 and i weight 180lbs. i didnt start getting fat until i had my last son and i got my tubes tide. i have 5 kids. i just really want to get this weight off and this heel spur to go away. so can you please help me.

thank you very much
april

Julie on 9/21/04 at 02:03 (160240)

April

I'm sorry about your pain. It's very difficult to stand all day when your feet hurt! Actually, jobs that require you to stand all day are very bad for your feet, and often are the cause of plantar fasciitis (the proper name for 'heel spurs')

Post your question again, starting a new thread. The doctors may not see it here, as it is as the bottom of an old thread. Also, read the heel pain book (click on the blue words). It will give you a lot of information about heel pain and how you can help yourself.

There are lots of people here who have gone through what you are going through and who understand.

SuzanneC on 9/22/04 at 14:10 (160350)

I have severe pain on the back of my heel --- about 2' up from the floor. There is an actual large bump in that area. I feel like i cant draw my toes back without feeling alot of pain and tightness. When i press on the actual spot it is very tender, but wrapping my fingers around the back of my ankle, and squeezing it, is almost unbearable. It also hurts very bad when i try to go up, or down stairs ---- the moving of my foot seems to irritate it, and make it hurt more. I dont know if its possible to have a spur grow on the back of the heel --- or what this could possibly b