Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel surgery to remove broken pin

Posted by Linda on 9/19/04 at 15:39 (160176)

I had a needle brake off in the heel of my foot 2 years ago. When I went to a 'foot doctor' he said 'If it doesnt bother you, dont woory about it' Well..............it didnt bother me then, but started to after 2 years. So I went to a Vascular and General Surgeon. He said he could remove it and did. He went through the side of my foot - this was on Aug.23rd. He said the needle had rusted and broke into 3 pieces when he removed it. Today, bottom of my foot is still numb and painful to put pressure on it. I have sharp radiating pains thoughout my entire foot at different times. I went back to him for a follow-up visit 10 days later - then again 17 days later, at this appointment, he removed my stitches and informed me that there was a small piece of the pin still in my foot. I was surprised and asked him if he had to go back in to remove it - he said no. I told him the foot was still numb and that I had severe swelling if I did not prop my foot up. His reply was 'I'll see you in 6 weeks' I have to take pain meds for the pain and had to drop out of Nursing Classes because of all this. Before I had the surgery, I told the Dr that I had clinicals on the 22 of September and he said 'Oh, you will be fine - before then' I took him at his word (my mistake) Anyway, I called him Friday because I ran out of pain meds and he refilled my Rx and told me to make an appointment to see him on Tuesday. Any one have an opinion on what I should do ??? Thanks

Re: Heel surgery to remove broken pin

Dr. Z on 9/19/04 at 16:37 (160179)

I would get a second opinion Make sure you don't have an infection and or nerve damage. If you doctor didn't use a fluroscope during the first procedure make sure that a fluroscope is used if a second procedure is used

Re: Heel surgery to remove broken pin

Linda on 9/21/04 at 04:57 (160242)

Thank you for your reply. What do you think I should say or ask him when I go to see him on my next appointment?
If it is nerve damage, do you have any idea how long it will be before I can walk again? Can any procedure be done to correct this?
Wouldn't it have been better for him to go through the bottom of my foot rather than the side?

Re: Heel surgery -went to Dr again this is what he said

Linda on 9/22/04 at 09:42 (160332)

I went back to the doctor and he wants me to go to a Neurologist to check for nerve damage and to a physical therapist. It appears he thinks I am loaded with money and can afford to keep paying all these co-payments for something he did not inform me of in the beginning. Should I go there or to get another oponion? thank you for your input

Re: went to Neurologist - please read

Linda on 10/01/04 at 23:32 (160873)

I went to a Neurologist and she said I have post-traumatic sympathetic reflex dystrophy. she wants me to get an EMG done (which I am told could be 3 weeks from now) and keep the appointment I have with the physical therapist. I can tolerate a little weight on my foot now - (it may be due to the pain killers I am taking). She gave me a prescription for Neurontin and wants me to increase dosage quickly within 3 weeks. I am also taking Flexeril and Darvocet. I feel like a walking medicine cabinet.
Do you think I am on the right course?