Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Say it ain't so!

Posted by john h on 9/23/04 at 15:02 (160397)

The company that manufacturers 'Twinkies: has filled for bankruptcy. Reorganization I hope. All you goof balls on diets should be ashamed of your self. Atkins should be sent to jail. The Southshore diet should be banned.

Re: Say it ain't so!

Suzanne D. on 9/23/04 at 15:56 (160407)

I saw that in the headlines this morning before I left for school but haven't read the article yet. I'll have to say that I can't remember the last time I had a Twinkie, but it seemed sad to consider that they may be no more. We didn't have them often when I was growing up, but when we did, it was a real treat to me.

Suzanne :)

Kathy G on 9/24/04 at 09:09 (160431)

I missed that headline, John. That would be Hostess who also made the infamous Hostess cupcakes. When I was in elementary school, I brought my lunch every day from grades 4-8. It was always the same since when I find something I like, I stick to it. According to today's standards, I should have been fat (I was skinny), inactive (I was a tomboy) and probably dead!

I'd bring a bologna sandwich, made on white Wonder Bread with mustard, a Hostess cupcake (that was the package that contained two cupcakes - it cost a dime!) and a raw green pepper. At school, we could buy milk (whole milk only) for three cents a carton.

I ate an occasional Twinkie but I didn't really like them. I sure loved those Hostess Cupcakes!

Ah, Atkins and South Beach are doing a job on the food industry. My questin will continue to be: If the Atkins Diet was so great, why didn't everyone who was on it about thirty-five years ago stay slim - and on the diet?

My daughter, who's not big on fads, surprised me by telling me she was going on the South Beach diet to lose a few pounds before the wedding she's going to be in. She's not overweight but has put on a couple of pounds. Being a good mother, I kept my mouth shut because she's a big girl and I shouldn't interfere.

She called me the next day to say she probably holds the record for being the quickest to fall off a diet. She lasted three quarters of a day! She said she was starved, dizzy, had a headache and felt generally lousy. She was going back to watching her calories and exercise. Thank goodness!

marie on 9/24/04 at 19:54 (160453)

Oh I loved those Twinkies but must confess Hostess Cupcakes were my first and true love.

Nothing like chocolate especially after a day like I had today at school.....nothing like a chocolate fix to make the world right again. :)

john h on 9/24/04 at 21:32 (160459)

I have been on a Barnes & Noble double layered carrot cake run lately. My lunch for the past month is a caffein skinny latte and slice of carrot cake. I guess this does not qualify as a healthy diet?

Kathy G on 9/25/04 at 09:56 (160482)

Probably not, but it sounds good to me, John! A couple of years ago, when my hand were not as bad as they are now, I made a carrot cake for a family event. I don't have a good processor - never had much need for one, so I had to grate the carrots by hand. What a job!

The cake was delicious but come to find out, my children don't even like it that much. Now if I want some carrot cake, I buy it!

Susan S on 9/25/04 at 11:09 (160488)

I love to go B&N, get the lemon torte thing (not sure what it is, like key lime pie, but lemon), coffee with real cream, and check out some magazines and books. It's a fun outing without too much walking.

There's a fantastic bakery here that makes a sweet bread with carrots, raisins and walnuts and the bread is made with whole wheat flour. I consider it a meal.

Part of being healthy is being happy, right?

john h on 9/27/04 at 09:53 (160564)

I think all those Barnes & Noble carrot cakes come out of NY even here in Arkansas. Their assortment of cheese cakes are also yummy. Carrot cake, a latte, and wireless reading Heelspurs all at the same time. When I built my first crystal radio who would have ever dreamed this? Any of you remember the crystal radios. I doubt little girls built those things. Perhaps Judy S would because that is her style. It used to be little girls were made of 'sugar and spice and everything nice' and little boys were made of snails and puppy dog tails and such. Things seemed to have changed.

Julie on 9/27/04 at 10:38 (160571)

I built a crystal set John (no surprise there). I always wanted to be a boy (until I grew up that is, and realised there were good things about being a girl) and I was the fastest runner on the block. I'll bet Judy was too. We have lots in common, but I never took up baseball - loved to watch it at the Yankee Stadium and the Polo Grounds, though.

:)

john h on 9/27/04 at 14:02 (160584)

Julie my author friend I would never have guessed you built a crystal radio. Wonder why they quit selling those. They were a great learning experience. I bet you might have had an Erector Set also. I also burned many a hole in our rugs with the Lead Molding sets. You molded hot lead that was melted in a small electric vat and then poured the hot lead into the supplied molds of soldiers,trucks,etc. I also burned my self on many occasion when I would get some of that hot lead on me. Can you imagine toys like this today with all the safety regulations we have. I doubt Tinker Toys would pass muster. Those Chemistry Sets caused a lot of grief for my mother as they came with the formula for making stink bombs. Some of the fire crackers we could buy would blow up a small room. Surely we are all safer so I am told but no one died from crack.

Julie on 9/27/04 at 14:12 (160587)

But you see, you MIGHT have guessed, John, as we are exactly the same age. And yes, I sure did have an Erector Set: it was my favourite thing for years. But I didn't have a Lead Molding set or a chemistry set - I wasn't very scientifically inclined.

BUT I had a wonderful set of electric trains that ran on an oval-shaped track - good, solid heavy metal engine and carriages. The engine had a cow-catcher, and at the back of the train was the caboose.

I think this may be my last post as I am going to bed now and leaving at 6am tomorrow morning. Goodnight and farewell all.