Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

an arch support that worked overnight for me

Posted by TJ on 9/23/04 at 17:48 (160414)

I just started with the up and down of heel spur pain. I tried the stretching and massage, a gel insole, and the duct tape. Then I bought the PowerStep that this website recommended. I found that the Powerstep arch was too high for me and it made the pain worse. On a visit to a running store it was suggested that I try the Arch-Aid straps. These are velcro-elastic straps that are about 9' long. They are adjustable-the best part. They wrap around your foot from top to bottom once around, and can be made tighter or looser depending on the level of support needed. Can I say these are LIFESAVERS?!! The first day I wore them for about 5 hours. The second day for 8 hours. What a difference. I even walked 3 miles the first day. They have allowed me to continue biking, yoga (barefoot with the straps), walking and just getting through the day without pain. I'm only on day three and look forward to better days ahead. I still stretch every day a couple of times. I hope these can help someone out there!

Re: an arch support that worked overnight for me

Dr. Z on 9/23/04 at 18:40 (160418)

Can you purchase the Arch-Aid Strap online

Julie on 9/23/04 at 21:44 (160426)

The Arch-Aid straps sound good! I'm glad they've helped you, and thank yo for sharing the information. It sounds as though they provide the same sort of support as taping - but a lot easier to apply.

Here is the web address of an on-line source, Dr Z:

And here is one I discovered while googling that sells dozens of PF aids, several of which I've not heard of:

Kathy in Ky on 9/25/04 at 20:29 (160506)

I just did an ebay search for them. There were 4 Arch-Aids selling on the auction site tonight. Might be a good way to try one out. (I think most came in sets of 2)

Richard, C.Ped on 9/27/04 at 10:14 (160568)

Just a small warning. Even though that type of product will strap and hold the arch, they will still collapse some when you add full weight bearing.

john h on 9/27/04 at 14:04 (160585)

Got to agree with that Richard. With the arch supporting the full body weight there is nothing short of a hard orthotic going to fully support the arch. I bought two of those cloth arch supports you strapped on some years ago. They quickly went into my bag of failures. That bag has grown to many bags over the years.