Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TTS diagnosis changed to polyneuropathy

Posted by Des on 9/24/04 at 22:08 (160463)

Diagnosed with PF and TTS in both ankles almost 3 years ago by podiatrist and neurologist. Had positive NCV/EMG at that time. Been wearing custom orthotics and was put on neurontin but always still had much breakthrough pain even at 2000mg/day which I took for several months. Currently only take 600mg at night.

I actually felt the neurologist was disinterested in my pain and problem so
just this week I saw another neurologist and he disagreed with the first diagnosis of TTS in both ankles and told me what I had was polyneuropathy. He also said it was so highly unlikely to have TTS in both ankles.

Does anyone know of these kind of facts? I'm surely confused.

Thanks for any help or information.

Re: TTS diagnosis changed to polyneuropathy

jimmy on 9/25/04 at 11:17 (160490)

from what I have noticed,it seems no doctor really wants to take the liability of going with one set diagnoses.I pretty sure that from what I have read,there is no conclusive proof to polyneuropathy,only symptoms.the emg is the only way to find out if the nerve is responding like it is supposed to.I would watch the neurontin.I had adverse reactions to it,and someone my mom knows had a stroke on it.

Terri on 9/25/04 at 16:27 (160504)

Des, TTS itself is rare and for those of us that suffer with it, it's not that uncommon to have bilateral TTS. Many of us here do, myself included.

With 2 different dx's, you may want to see a 3rd dr now and get his/her opinion.

Ann L on 9/25/04 at 21:39 (160509)

I have to agree with Terri, I would seek a third opinion. It is not unheard of to have TTS in both ankles if you have it one. I'm another sufferer of bilateral TTS. Did he just pull his diagnosis out of the air or did he do any kind of testing to derive at his diagnosis?

Sometimes it takes seeing several doctors before you can get to a doctor that has enough experience and understanding of TTS to be able to treat it appropriately. Good luck!

Deb G on 10/24/04 at 08:02 (162052)

What are your symptoms for polyneuropathy? I had tarsal tunnel surgery and was told it was in both ankles. I had both done but I feel nerve tingles all up and down my leg. They are very short lived and go away. They occur in different spots from my thigh to my inside calf.Has anyone experienced this?