Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What brand compression socks?

Posted by Michelle on 9/25/04 at 15:21 (160496)

I want to thank everyone for responding to my last post so quickly. I have taken the advice to heart and started taking vitamin supplements and I am looking for a good pair of compression socks. Do you have any advice on a brand that I should buy? There seem to be a large number of different kinds also - knee high and with and without toes...
Did you find one kind more helpful than another?

Thank you again. I hope I can kick this pain before it gets unbearable!

Re: What brand compression socks?

Terri on 9/25/04 at 16:21 (160503)

Michelle,

I bought a style that looks like lady's trouser socks and they look great with dress pants. I go to a specialty shoe store run by 2 C-Peds (brothers) and they carry all kinds of wonderful things for our tootsies! You may want to look around your area for a shoe store that sells orthopedic shoes and such. I'm sure you'll find something there. I also bought ankle-high sports socks with a built-in arch support that I just love!

Re: What brand compression socks?

LARA on 9/26/04 at 09:26 (160511)

I agree with Terri - going to a shoe store run by perdothists (sp?) is a good way to go. If you can't tell, they often advertise selling shoes for diabetics.

The socks can also be found oftentimes in drug stores, or drug section of large grocery stores. I don't think the brand counts, but there are degrees of compression. There are some called 'walking socks' which I love, but don't provide enough compression to count for this. You want something that tells you how much compression/pound. I think the milds are like 10-15 pounds compression (can't remember exactly how it is written, pounds/inch???). The moderates I think are 20-30. I've only seen knee-highs in stores. I get anklets from my podiatrist. They come without toes, so I don't think it matters if you get socks with or without the toes.

Good luck.