Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

It took two years to get 100% better - this is what i did:

Posted by Bradley on 9/27/04 at 09:37 (160561)

I had very painful foot pain which happened when I walked all ovedr the concrete jungle of New York City for one month to photograph the city for a book.

Here's what I did:

Originally, I had suspected that there was something going on in the night time since the pain in the morning was so intense. When I saw a night-splint on this site I decided to give one a try. However, initially, it made my problem worse. The instructions were not clearly written and so in my haste and panic. I cranked that thing beyond 90 degrees to really stretch my foot while I sleep.

The product I bought was the NiceStretch. There are other issues with that particular item as well; the main one being that you cannot really walk around in it. Realistically, there are very few times where I hop into bed and that's the end of my day. Plus, in the event of having to get up in the middle of the night for an emergency or bathroom 'event'; it's not practical, and slippery on a hardwood floor. Plus, to make it stay on correctly, I had to use ACE bandages wrapped around it.

Then I tried some sort of plastic splint that attaches to the front of the foot; but the design does not keep it on.

Finally, I was at a thrift store and saw a leg brace for $2.00 and bought it. It's the kind of leg brace that you would see an injured high-school or college sports player wearing to school so he or she can walk around. It completely imobilizes the ankle with two steel bars down the sides and three velvro straps. It's big and bulky and no one in bed with you will like being kicked with it. However, it's time to get over those thoughts and em'brace' it. It also covered some criteria that other night splints do not; the most important being that I could walk in it. This was important to me since I could put it on before bed and still function; check the doors, brush my teeth, etc. Also, in the event of an emergency - I would not have to stumble to try to take it off before jumping out of bed.

Also, since I can't adjust the angle on it; my foot is always in a 90 degree angle. I discovered that a 90 degree angle is exactly what everyone needs for a night splint. Any more and you will hurt yourself and any less and there is not as much chance of it working.

In addition to the night splint; I bought and tried some Powerstep inserts. THEY WORK! After two weeks I could feel an improvement during the day with these. Since the day I bought my first pair three years ago, I have them on 95% of the time when I am awake. I ended up buying five pair so I can have a pair in my morning slippers, and a designated pair in my RUNNING shoes. That's right, I took up running since the night-splint and Powerstep inserts have helped so much. I've lost 30 pounds, which also helps. The other Powerstep inserts I move around from pair to pair.

In summary:

Don't be afraid to wear a bulky, heavy night splint.

Night-splint designers: stop making them something that cannot be worn out of bed. In the case of a fire, or getting up in the middle of the night to check on noises or children; it's dangerous.

Get orthodics and wear them all the time. Even my slippers have some in them and my summer sandles have an arch to them.

Re: It took two years to get 100% better - this is what i did:

Michael on 9/27/04 at 15:28 (160599)

Please explain in the morning your pain was so intense. Are you saying when waking in the morning while still in bed your feet were in intense pain even before walking or do you mean when taking your first step or after taking your first step. For me in the morning while still in bed before walking my feet are too in intense pain. I do have the night splints but do not wear them in bed I wear them sometimes during the day for 30 minutes a few times a week. My feet in the arch have been in pain well this November it will be two years. Of all the doctors which I have seen none have come up with a diagnosis yet. Also tell me about your pain where in the foot and describe your pain and please tell me the time in which you are in pain. My pain is nonstop no matter what I am doing or what part of the day it is. It does seem the pain is worse in the morning hours even before I do any walking. Thanks, Michael

Re: It took two years to get 100% better - this is what i did:

Rose on 9/27/04 at 23:50 (160616)

Is this brace a removable black cast/walking boot? I have two of them from before and after my surgeries. I wear one or both to bed and when I do there is no first step pain at all in the morning. And as you say, you can walk around and do things without fear of slipping. It would easy to move in any emergency. Ialso will wear one around the house in the evenings on the bad foot. It makes a huge difference and is so much more confortable than the night splint I was given by my doctor. That 90 degrees does somuch good. I think probably because it is sretching the calf. Is that correct?

Re: For Bradley

Michael on 10/05/04 at 12:40 (161007)

Please explain in the morning your pain was so intense. Are you saying when waking in the morning while still in bed your feet were in intense pain even before walking or do you mean when taking your first step or after taking your first step. For me in the morning while still in bed before walking my feet are too in intense pain. I do have the night splints but do not wear them in bed I wear them sometimes during the day for 30 minutes a few times a week. My feet in the arch have been in pain well this November it will be two years. Of all the doctors which I have seen none have come up with a diagnosis yet. Also tell me about your pain where in the foot and describe your pain and please tell me the time in which you are in pain. My pain is nonstop no matter what I am doing or what part of the day it is. It does seem the pain is worse in the morning hours even before I do any walking. Thanks, Michael