Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Hopeless in South Carolina

Posted by Angela I on 9/27/04 at 10:48 (160572)

I have been to 6 podiatrist in 18 months.I have severe PF and heel spurs on both feet.Latest Dr. did sonar.Left foot 6cm. thick,right foot 7cm. thick.I had ESWT on left foot 08/20/04.No relief so far.I'm tired of searching for doctors.I see that one of your doctors is in Va. My daughter lives in Williamsburg.I will travel there or whereever I have to in order to get my life back. This has affected my whole being.I have ZERO quality of life.I'm 43 yrs. old and I am forced to live the life of a 75 yr. old.
Any help will be appreciated

Re: Hopeless in South Carolina

Julie on 9/27/04 at 11:01 (160574)

Angela, a good podiatrist sould be able to help you, so to see six who haven't is very bad luck.

Meanwhile, please read the heel pain book (click on the link right here). It will give you good ideas about self-treatment, but most importantly a great deal of information about your PF.

I'm not a doctor, just trying to offer some support, and I hope the next doctor you see WILL help. But no doctor, however good, can do everything. I think that with PF we need to look at every aspect of our lives to see what might be contributing to it.

Do you have to work on your feet all day?

What shoes do you wear? Are you sure they're the right size for you (you'd be surprised how many people, especially women, don't realise that feet spread as we age). Do they give good support?

These are just a couple of the questions you could ask yourself - there are many more. Read the heel pain book, and past posts here and try to get more of a handle on your problem.

Finally, you are only six weeks past your ESWT treatment. I believe it takes up to 12 weeks for results to be apparent, and a further treatment is often successful even after a failed first treatment. ESWT is one of the things you can read up on on this site.

Best of luck - and don't despair or be hopeless. Try and be proactive in your healing.

Tina H on 9/27/04 at 11:36 (160577)

I agree with everything Julie said. I am about your age and know exactly how you feel. I've been helped by a lot of the things in Scott's book, try them all, especially a night splint on both feet at night and icing for 15 minutes before bed. Ice is a powerful anti-inflammatory aid and we often overlook it. The Night splint I have is tolerable, at least for me, A-Force. I had ESWT a month before you did on 7/20, and I am only now feeling real improvement, the kind that makes me feel like maybe there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I am cetainly a long way from being cured, but slowly I'm getting my life back. So maybe in another month you will start to feel some relief. Good Luck, Tina

Angela I on 9/27/04 at 14:09 (160586)

Thank you both for responding. I do not work outside the home. I wear Nike and New Balance cross-trainers ALWAYS!! As soon as my feet hit the floor,I put on my shoes. I also have orthodics and thick gel heel pads. I can't use ice or take any anti-inflammatory drugs for several more weeks after the ESWT. I have had physical therapy. I do my stretching everyday. I honestly believe that 2 wooden peg legs would feel better than my feet do.
Maybe there will be a miracle drug or treatment to come along soon.

Tina H on 9/27/04 at 20:12 (160607)

Angela, Are you wearing a night splint? That has really helped me. Sounds like your are doing what you should be doing. I know that period of time after ESWT when you can't take anti-inflammatories or use ice, is difficult. I felt a lot better when those were added back in to the equation! Keep us posted. Tina

Richard, C.Ped on 9/28/04 at 10:26 (160632)

Angela,

I guess you did not know that I am in South Carolina as well. I am in Columbia, but I will be happy to come to where ever you live to help you out.

My office number is 803-407-9195. You can also email me at: (email removed).

I have to go to Charleston today at 2:00, so if you want to try me cell, the number is 803-269-3990.

Ed Davis. DPM on 9/29/04 at 09:14 (160679)

Angelea:
It does take ESWT 12 weeks to work and with such thick PF, a second round may be needed. The chance of ESWT working is good. It is to be used in conjunction with other things mentioned in the Heel Pain Book.
Ed