Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Retrocalcaneal spur reconstruction

Posted by LilCricket on 9/27/04 at 23:04 (160615)

I had a tear in my achilles tendon due to a retrocalcaneal spur. I underwent reconstructive surgery 9 months ago. The tendon was removed, bone shaved down and reformed, tendon reattached and anchored in place. After the surgery I was in a non weight bearing cast for 7 weeks, then went to a partial weight bearing cast for another 4 weeks. I then began PT. Now that is over with. My foot has improved significantly however, I still experience stiffness when I first get up in the morning or at the end of the day after I have been off it for a while. I exercise and stretch the tendon constantly. I can't figure out why the tendon will not stretch or why I still have so much discomfort. I can feel the pins, especially when the weather changes. When I mention these things to the doctor, he just tells me to continue with the stretching exercises. I have honestly thought of getting another doctor to look at it to make sure there isn't a problem with the surgery. How long does it actually take to completely heal and stretch back out?

Re: Retrocalcaneal spur reconstruction

Dr. Z on 9/28/04 at 11:05 (160637)

This type of surgery takes a very long time to heal. Sometimes up to one year. Never hurts to see another doctor to confirm what the other doctor is saying but it DOES take a very long time to heal

LilCricket on 9/28/04 at 17:42 (160655)

He told me it will be about a year. I think what is making it more complicated is the fact that I have arthritis. So when my knees begin to ache, it cause a limp which puts pressure on the tendon...which makes me limp more. Sort of this whole cycle thing going. If that makes sense.

I am supposed to get the other foot done in another year. Not sure if I want to undergo all this pain again though.

Dr. Z on 9/28/04 at 22:21 (160664)

You may want to consider ESWT instead of foot surgery. Much less pain and much quicker healing

LilCricket on 9/29/04 at 07:12 (160673)

The tendon is torn and badly damaged. It isn't being done so much for the spur. The one we just did was almost completely detatched. It was being held by the calcium deposits. He actually said there was an extreme amount of build up. More than what he normally sees.

Dr. Z on 9/29/04 at 07:46 (160675)

So long as there isn't a rupture and or tear ( confirm with MRI) you can have ESWT for the other foot.

Dr Ben Pearl on 9/29/04 at 18:57 (160703)

the spur does not cause a tear-
how was the tear diagnosed?

LilCricket on 9/29/04 at 21:08 (160709)

X-rays showed something abnormal, followed by an MRI. The tears are caused by some bone deformity due to the arthritis. That and the fact that I carried around an extra hundred pounds for a number of years. I actually began having problems when I lost the weight 5 years ago. It just progressed as time went on. The right foot was worse, but we think the left will progress to the point of needing surgery in a few years. At least this is what I have been told.