Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

nerve irritation from plantar fasciitis????Please help

Posted by Holly S on 9/29/04 at 02:07 (160668)

I had an injection for plantar fasciitis about 2 weeks ago and my heel has stayed numb since then, but I have allot of pain when I stand on the foot for any length of time. I work long hours on concrete floors as a nurse. I went back to my podiatrist and she thinks inflammation is causing the nerve that runs through the heel to be compressed and this is causing the numbness to touch across the whole heel and the increased pain. I have been instructed to stay off the foot as much as possible, am taking cataflam and told to stop the exercises other than the ice and rolling a tennis ball under the foot. I would value other's experiences or opinions regarding my situation. It is feeling hopeless...I have been to therapy, have orthotics and the only thing that seems to make it bearable at all is taping.

Re: nerve irritation from plantar fasciitis????Please help

Ed Davis. DPM on 9/29/04 at 09:24 (160682)

Holly:
Having the taping and orthotics work is a good sign. The orthotics can be improved upon (adjusted) then add in physical therapy, the right shoes (eg. New Balance 1122's, stretching, possibly night splints (see the Heel Pain Book).
Ed