Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tarsal Tunnel surgery

Posted by Mia on 9/29/04 at 06:26 (160669)

Hello everyone! I first wanted to explain a bit about myself. In July I was in an accident and had my foot crushed by a Tractor - trailer. At the emergency room - I had x-rays done and was told it was a severe sprain of my left foot. A few days later I went to see my family doctor. After that visit...I went on to see an Ortho doctor. The ortho doctor sent me for an MRI and discovered a few fractures. Since then, the fractures have healed.(they did another x-ray 4 weeks later) The pain has gotten worse, so they had me tested for Tarsal Tunnel. YES - I do have it. I'm scheduled for surgery on Oct. 28th! I'm looking forward to getting past this point in my life, but on the other hand - I not sure what to expect? Any info. on the surgery and recovery would be great! I do go back in to see my doctor next week and plan on asking him tons of questions also!
A few questions I have now:
1) How long does the actual surgery take?
2) What will they do to wrap my foot post-surgery?
3) What limitations will I have?
4) Will I need help with my kids?
5) What is the recovery like?

Any comments would be great! Thanks!

Re: Tarsal Tunnel surgery

chris on 9/29/04 at 07:47 (160676)

I had surgery for tts and pf. Surgery lasted about an hour with local anethestic (sp?)

2) I had a 1/2 hard cast that was wrapped in gauze and ace bandage

3) I was on crutches for 3 weeks. No weight bearing during that time. After 3 weeks I was put in a boot cast for about 2 weeks.

4) Yes, Yes, Yes!!!! I was told I could not ever cook for at least 2 -3 weeks

5) Long - could quite possibly take up to a year to be completely healed.

I'm certain you will receive lost of responses from everyone on the board. They are very knowledgeable and I would suggest that you do a search as there are lots of posts about successfual AND unsuccesful tts surgies.

Mia on 9/30/04 at 06:09 (160734)

Good Morning! Thanks for getting back to me. I'm kinda nervous about having the surgery with the holidays coming up, but want it done ASAP. I'm glad I have a few weeks to prepare meals & do some christmas shopping before hand.
So getting back to the surgery... How painful is it? When do they expect to start therapy afterwards? How many weeks do they send you for therapy? I know everyone is different, but what is the norm?
Does anyone have any advice to give me as I plan for this surgery? I usually do research on things before hand, but this condition isn't easy to find on the internet. I'm glad I found this site - its been very helpful.

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing more info. from anyone that can help.

Mia

chris on 9/30/04 at 08:04 (160737)

Want the truth?????

For my surgery - which I had in the beginning of Nov (I was able to go xmas shopping when I got switched to the boot cast)

I found the most painful part was when they numbed the nerves. OMG I can't even describe it. What I remember most is the guy trying to find it and asking me if I felt 'that' I was like what does it feel like - he siad you'll know. OMG did I ever know.

The only other thing that bothered me was about the last 5 minutes of surgery when my leg got cramped after being propped up for so long.

Afterwards I really didn't mind the pain - it was bearable, but I hated the crutches.

The doc didnt' start PT until sometime in Jan or Fed - probably shoudl have done it sooner.

BTW - I am a big bowler and was bowling within 4 weeks after surgery. Of course I was still off work and suppose to still being wearing a boot cast, but me and bowling - heck I was bowling a week after having a c-section. There is not much that comes between me and my bowling LOL

Camilla on 9/30/04 at 11:52 (160766)

Hello Mia.Welcome to the boards..
I am also going to have TTS Surgery around October 15. I am nervous, too. But, I feel much better about it than I did before I came here. These people are very nice and knowledgable.

Oh, Chris...They didn't put you to sleep? They are going to put me to sleep. Did they give you a choice?

chris on 9/30/04 at 14:56 (160778)

Nope did not put m eto sleep.

The surgery was done in the hospital but in their outpatient section.

Mia on 9/30/04 at 19:24 (160793)

Thanks for giving me some more insight. I'm the type also, that will push my limitations and get rid of the crutches. I was given a set in the hospital and told to use them for a week...well I didn't listen! Also, I got rid of the walking boot early as well.

Gosh - I'm surprised they didn't put you to sleep. I'm thinking I'll be put out. I guess it all depends on the doctor?

I'm really hoping to be back to a somewhat normal schedule within 4 weeks. I have too many things that I need to get done. I guess I'll just have to listen to my body and take breaks when I need them.

The main concern I have is not being able to do things with my kids. I hate having that taken away from me. But, on the other hand, its only for a short time and I have time to prepare for it.

I do understand going back to bowling as soon as you could. LOL I have the same habit with pushing the boundries of my health and not following dr's orders. We went to Hershey Park the week after my foot was crushed and I got on the rides also! I'll stick to the things we've had scheduled no matter what if possible. I guess its because we have 4 kids and its so hard to plan anything to begin with. LOL

Thanks so much for all your info. If you can think of anything else that might help....please feel free to let me know.

Take care,
Mia

Mia on 9/30/04 at 19:27 (160794)

Thanks! I look forward to hearing about your experience too. Please keep me updated. Good luck!

By the way, I'm hoping they put me to sleep also. I can't imagine that they didn't do that with Chris. But I guess every doctor is different?

Take care,
Mia

Darlene on 9/30/04 at 19:35 (160795)

Hello Mia.

I'm wondering what your symptoms are. How are you managing with cooking and shopping now?

chris on 10/01/04 at 07:39 (160813)

Please, please make sur eyou do follow the advice of your doctor.

I did absolutely nothing until I was put in the boot cast (I hope I made that clear)

No weight bearing is very, very important after surgery

Mia on 10/01/04 at 07:58 (160815)

Good Morning! At this point I'm dealing with things. I'm in constant pain, but continue on with daily life. I've given up on going to the gym and exercising - like I did before the surgery. Unable to wear most of my shoes. I've been wearing a pair of Harley boots I have and they seem to help support things for me. My doctor commented on them - he said they were a great choice to wear. Mainly, I try not to stand or walk too much. I took a walk with my kids the other weekend around the neighborhood - well it killed me. Understand we live in the country and have tons of hills -LOL.
Until this week, I wasn't taking any pain med's for the pain and was unbearable to be around. I decided I would start taking them and have been dealing with life much better. An example - my husband came home from work one day this week and commented on the fact I was smiling and in a good mood! I told him I decided to take my pain pills and was feeling better.
I guess you can say - I'm one of those people that will keep moving until I just can't anymore! I also, went back to work 2 weeks after having my 2nd kid! LOL so, I can relate to getting back to normal life ASAP
With cooking and stuff - I've been relying on the crock pot often. It takes a few minutes to toss in the ingredents and its ready at dinner time.
I'm keeping life simple and taking breaks thru the day when needed - its a benefit to the kids being in school and me being a stay-at-home Mom. So, I'm actually lucky that I don't have a job at this point in my life.

I did go into the kids school yesturday to help out for 2 hours. It was standing on my feet on a hard floor helping little kids. When I was done the pain was very bad. I can't imagine every being able to get back into nursing and being on my feet for 12 hr shifts again. The thought of that kills me. But there is always hope that things will work out for the best and I'll have that oppertunity again.
How about you? How are you managing daily life? Any set backs or things you just can't do? I would love to hear your stories.

Mia

Mia on 10/01/04 at 08:07 (160818)

Oh I will, but I also will isten to my body. If I feel I can do things...I'll do it. That's just the type of person I am. Plus, I'll have my husband and kids around to help me. My main goal is to get thru this and move forward. The only thing that's planned after the surgery for the first week - my in-laws are having a Halloween party 2 days after the surgery. I'm planning on going with my family...even if a stay in their house with my foot up on the couch. They only live 10 minutes from our house, so I should be able t deal with the car ride. I will not miss my kids doing this - they look forward to it every year. I just might have to take a few pain pills before hand - LOL
Beyond that, I will have plenty of time to just do nothing. The kids are in school thru the week and my husband is home in the evenings and weekends! So, I'm in good shape to recover in peace.
Thanks for your concern and I would love to hear any other advce you may have for me.

Mia

chris on 10/01/04 at 11:22 (160830)

2 days after surgery - I would have never been ready to do anything 2 dyas after surgery except sleep on the couch.

HOnestly you might want to rethink that party. Even if you think you can withstand the car ride - you most likely would not have showered or bathed yet - at least I didn't! LOL

Mia on 10/02/04 at 07:43 (160882)

I'm thinkng I'll be fine, but the family knows that might not be the case. Heck - within a couple hours of having the accident my husband & I went out with friends dancing for the evening. Granted, I didn't dance but we were out. I just hated to cancel the sitter we had for the night. Plus, we were looking forward to that night out for weeks. The next day I was very sore and had lots of swelling. But if I had it to do over again - we would have done the same thing. LOL Our friends to this day, still comment on the fact they would have just cancelled on us (if it would have happened to them)

Anyway, I do understand that I might not be up to the halloween party. I'll just wait and see what I feel like when the time comes. I know everyone will understand if I decide not to go. Thanks very much for your concern and I will keep in mind what you've said.

Take care,
Mia

Lynn Washburn on 10/11/04 at 16:16 (161294)

Mia,
I just had tarsal tunnel surgery and its been 1 and 1/2 weeks. The first week and 1/2 I've been partial weight bearing using walker and wearing a boot type shoe with a bulky dressing with gauze pad, gauze wrapping and an Ace wrap over that.

As far as anesthesia they did spinal block on me and I felt absolutely nothing until the anesthesia wore off later in the afternoon and they gave me pain medication for that.

Its a little early to tell you but after 1 week and 1/2 I'm bearing partial weight with walker and sometimes use a cane in smaller rooms where a walker won't go. The foot gets sore if I overdo or am on it too much.

It feels better with ice pack, elevation and rest. I'm finding plenty of rest so far.

Good Luck
Lynn Washburn

Mia on 10/11/04 at 19:10 (161300)

Thanks for your reply. What you have mentioned - is what I'm expecting in my recovery. I'm assuming that I'll have some type of bulky wrap with a boot of some sort. I can't imagine the dr. putting me in a cast and having me come back the following day? Just doesn't make much sense.

Good luck in your recovery and keep me posted on how your doing. Thanks again for replying!

Mia

denise g on 10/18/04 at 20:09 (161751)

I had tarsal tunnel surgery 10-1-04, 2 weeks in splint non-weight bearing, now i'm in a cam-walker weight bearing, have a lot of pain walking where the incision was by end of day, expecting excellent results as i have none of the original pain i had. I had an excellent surgeon, Dr. Deland in nyc.
Was put to sleep, came home same day.
denise

Darlene on 10/19/04 at 08:05 (161772)

Denise:

I had a consult with Dr. Deland and was very impressed. I've also heard the the Hospital for Special Surgery was excellent.

What were your symptoms before surgery and how long did you have them? Did Dr. Deland find out the reason for your tts?

Is the incision just below your ankle bone?

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

Darlene

denise g on 10/21/04 at 17:00 (161916)

Darlene,
My symptoms were pain somewhat behind the ankle, nothing showed on mri or bone scans or x rays, Dr. Deland diagnosed it strictly by feeling the pain site The incision is below my ankle bone about 3 inches. I am 20 days post op and the incision still hurts, he said the surgery is about 80percent successful, so I am very anxious waiting to see if I am cured. Today I had leakage from the incision and am wondering if it is infected or what is going on, since i have started walking (15 days post op) I have had significant pain and can only pray that it goes away as the incision heals. He is an excellent Dr., but it is very difficult for me to get to city. Good luck Darlene, No reason was found for my tts.
Denise

Darlene on 10/22/04 at 10:59 (161978)

Is the incision 3 inches long?

Do you still have the tts pain that you had before the surgery?

Were you given any instructions on how to prevent adhesions to the scar - physio, massage, oil, or steroid cream? It is still early enough to take action for an excellent outcome.

Darlene

denise g on 10/23/04 at 20:45 (162040)

I was put in a splint two weeks after tarsal tunnel surgery, non-weight bearing. I had to elevate it day and night above the heart for the first 8 days 90 percent of the time. After two weeks started walking in a cam walker, I have not had physical therapy but think I may need it. Any suggestions on physical therapy? The Dr. said it was my option.
I have a 3 inch incision that is starting to heal nicely, after a little leakage for 2 days. It still hurts a lot when I walk, I am 3 weeks post op, I have no idea if it has cured the tts pain yet as incision and walking still hurt a lot.
Denise

Darlene on 10/23/04 at 21:46 (162041)

Denise:

Hang in there and keep us informed of your progress. 3 weeks is still not very long. Did you have pain or unusual sensations/numbness on the sole of your foot? If so, how does that feel?

Darlene

judyb on 2/08/05 at 18:41 (168764)

my mom is having this surgery next week and is really nervous. She has severe neuropathy and is willing to do almost anything to get relief from the pain which has had such an effect on her mobility. I would love to hear from someone who had this surgery in Oct when these postings went up to see how you are doing months later and to know if it was worth it. Thanks

Julie on 2/09/05 at 02:44 (168776)

Judy B, you've posted your question right at the end of a five-month old thread, where very few people will see it (only those who, like myself, always read 'all messages posted since your last visit). That's the way the forum works.

Go to the TTS board and post a new message. You'll be more likely to get answers.

wendy d on 4/24/05 at 12:32 (173646)

did you feel anything while they were working on you???

Cathreine D on 7/14/05 at 22:17 (178438)

I am suffering with tts after receiving surgery for plantar fascia release.I live a life of constant, chronic heel and foot pain. I think my dr is going to suggest surgery for the tarsal tunnel. Does anyone have good and bad stories about this type surgery? Please let me know I am desperate to be healed and painfree once again

Re: Tarsal Tunnel surgery-be careful

Suzy D on 7/15/05 at 17:15 (178486)

Just make sure that you really have TTS. How were you diagnosed? Foot and leg pain can be caused by so many things and often have similar symptoms. Please don't rush into surgery until you are certain this is the problem. If it is, be sure you go to a reputable surgeon to have this release procedure done. One site that has been mentioned here is the Dellon Institute for Peripheral Neuropathy Surgery. Go to dellionpns.com and check out the various sites where they are located. There is a toll free number to call and you can get information sent to you. Don't rush, do your homework, and best of luck, Suzy