Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Acupuncture for Neuroma's

Posted by Susan on 9/29/04 at 16:09 (160698)

Is acupuncture successful for Morton's Neuromas?

Also, is sugery often successful?

Re: Acupuncture for Neuroma's

Dr Ben Pearl on 9/29/04 at 18:52 (160702)

accupuncture tends to be temporary for neuromas
surgery is about 80 % successful longterm

Re: Acupuncture for Neuroma's

Rose on 10/03/04 at 16:26 (160940)

I had acupuncture and it did not do much. I did physical therapy the chiropractor and they finally all said that surgery is so successful in most cases that it was the best bet. I had it and it was completely successful. I also had the other foot, that had severe PF done at the same time. It is still healing and it is well over a year. I know a number of people pesonally who had had surgery for the neuroma and every single one of them had complete success. One is a Jazzercise teacher who had both feet done at once and completely recovered in less than two months and was back teaching. Mine was completely pain free and healed in less than 6 weeks. So I would go for it. That is not true with PF though. Surgery does not have nearly the succcess rate with that. Good luck and keep us posted.

Re: Rose

Darlene on 10/03/04 at 17:49 (160943)

I'm considering neuroma surgery too. I'm wondering what if feels like to put pressure on the foot within the first few weeks after surgery. Is it painful? Also, what is the sensation like afterwards. Is the numb feeling distracting?

Thx.

Darlene

Re: Rose

Rose on 10/04/04 at 11:52 (160956)

For me and others it was just the first several days. They wrap your foot in an ace bandage and give you a surgical shoe. You can walk right away. But I recommend putting your foot up and icing so it does not swell. Mine did not swell up at all.But I sepnt a lot of time off of my fot with ice under my knees which helped a lot. I only took aspirin for pain.