Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

eswt pain

Posted by jeannie m on 9/29/04 at 23:21 (160725)

I am on day 13 after eswt with the dornier machine. My feet hurt worse than ever. I know everyone says it can take time but i already feel discouraged. Has anyone else felt the same? I work on my feet on hard floors. I can't stand the pain but if i had hope i would be able to bear it. Thanks!!

Re: eswt pain

Dr. Z on 9/30/04 at 17:16 (160791)

Talk to your ESWT physician. He should be able to tape your feet, give you pain medication. You might have to get off the cement floors for a short period of time.

Tina H on 9/30/04 at 21:11 (160799)

Jeannie- Hang in there. My pain was a lot worse also, but at around 2-3 weeks after it was at about where it was before ESWT and now 9 weeks later I'm doing much better. Still not cured but I now make it through the day, and I'm often on feet until I go to bed which was not the case at all before. I had the same machine. You just need to get through the next few weeks staying off of your feet as much as possible and keeping up with the pf routine. Good Luck, Tina

jeannie m on 10/01/04 at 09:23 (160821)

Thank you all for your help and encouragement!!!!

Lynn F. on 10/05/04 at 14:38 (161012)

Hi Jeanne - I'm on day 5 (Dornier) and it seems the pain is actually worsening a little each day (due to inflammation caused by the procedure and no longer taking anti-inflammatories that I took for weeks leading up to the procedure.) Today I noticed pain and minor bruising at the back of my heel where the shock waves exited. I believe it will just take time. Hang in there..

jeannie m on 10/05/04 at 20:55 (161034)

Thanks Lynn. The back of my heals have been very sore as well and it didn't dawn on me that is where the shock waves exited. Tonight the pain was so bad that i decided to go the othodic route as it didn't seem like it could get any worse at this point anyhow. I got my treatment done with 2 other friends the same day if you can believe it !!!! They are not working at this time so it is a little harder to compare notes with them but so far no magic cure for them either. The doctor said it could be 6 to 12 weeks so we all wait and hope. Good Luck to you as well.

Dr. Z on 10/05/04 at 21:13 (161035)

Jeannie M,

The ESWT shockwave exit from the side not the back of the heel as you been told. The back of the heel pain is overuse of your achilles tendon