Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Vioxx has been voluntarily withdrawn by Merck

Posted by Kathy G on 9/30/04 at 09:03 (160741)

For those of you who might miss it, Vioxx has been taken off the world market by Merck after a three-year study showed that it significantly increased the risk of heart attack or stroke. The risk increased after the first eighteen months they patient took it. I would supply a link but the websites are so busy, it's hard to get connected.

For those of you on it, you should call your doctor and see what he suggests as an option. For me, Celebrex gave me one of the worst headaches I've ever had in my life, both times I tried it. I've been on Vioxx since 1999. I should keel over any day now! No smiley faces for me to click on but that's a joke!

Bextra is also an alternative as are Naproxen and all the other oldies. Your doctor will know.

I'm sure you're all going to hear it but I just wanted to give you a heads up. Remember, your pharmacies will have trouble supplying the alternates for a while, so if you really need it, call your doctor today so you'll be one of the first to get a prescription for an alternate drug.

And let's all pray our 401K's didn't invest heavily in Pfizer stock!