Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Soooo scared

Posted by Jessica on 9/30/04 at 09:46 (160750)

I was recently told that I have PF in both of my feet along with a few bones that grew crooked. I got on this site and read about things like shots and surgury. What is the likelyhood that this is my fate?

Re: Soooo scared

Pauline on 9/30/04 at 14:03 (160773)

Jessica,
Ever hear the song lyric ' slow down you're going too fast'? Well that's exactly what I think your doing. You got one opinion, read a few things and came to your own scary conclusion.

I'm not a doctor, but I think you need to have more explaination from your doctor and you definitely need to read Scott's heel pain book from beginning to the end. It's available free on this site.

You may also want to have a second opinion from another doctor outside the practice you are now seeing. This is especially true if your doctor is suggesting surgery to you. Know before you go. Something you need to remember.

To say you have crooked foot bones means very little at this time unless you understand which bones they are and if they are really playing a role in the foot pain that you are now experiencing. Maybe yes and maybe no. This certainly needs to be sorted out. From the sounds of things you've had them a while and they may have absolutely nothing to do with your current problem, but again I'm not a doctor and you need one to fully explain this too you.

Personally, I'd suggest you read Scott's heel pain book and jot down some questions. The next time you visit the doctor have pad and pencil in hand and get those questions answered. Have him explain those xrays in full detail or any other test that he ordered and then ask him about his plan of action for your diagnosis.

Come back and post that additional information and I think the doctors here will then have a better idea about the importance of those crooked bones as they relate to your current condition.

The one think you need to remember, is never rush into any surgery without knowing exactly the reason for having it and without having a second opinion. Sometimes a third is even needed.

The time you spend understanding your problem and finding the best solution and doctor to treat it will be time well spent. No surgery comes with a guarantee of any type, especially one that says you'll be pain free and the last thing you need is an unnessary surgery procedure.

Take your time, understand your condition, get your questions answered, secure a diagnosis, read and research your options, obtain a second opinion if necessary, then act.

Best of luck and keep us updated.

Re: To Jessica

christyw on 10/01/04 at 01:10 (160806)

Jessica,
I thought I could share my story with you. I got on this sight before I had my surgery also and it scared me. First of all I had PF for 2 years in my left foot. I had to go through the procedures before my doctor would do surgery(my insurance required it also). I started off with cortisone shots. They helped for awhile. The doctor also put me on celebrex. I also had to try icing, stretches, taping, orthodics, and physical therapy. Everyone is different. Everything I tried only worked for a little while. My suggestion to you is to try all of this before you have surgery. I suffered with it for 2 years and it was aweful. However, I did have the surgery on both feet. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. You will have some pain with it just like any other surgery. I found out that I was scared for nothing. They do say that it doesn't help everyone though. The doctor suggested ESWT to me but my insurance didn't want to pay for that. I still have some pain in my feet but the doctor says It could take anywhere from 6 months to a year for recovery. Just make sure you try everything first and most importantly make sure you have a good doctor. I got a 2nd opinion also. If you have anymore questions just post them.

Christy

Re: To Jessica

christyw on 10/01/04 at 01:13 (160807)

1 more thing-Do you have high arches? The doctor said that is why I have PF. On my x-rays he said that my bones grew crooked. He said that was common in high arched feet.