Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ask the docs --PF pain decreasing the more I ride my bicycle!.

Posted by Donald L on 9/30/04 at 20:04 (160796)

The last week I have made it a point to ride my bike 5 15 miles per day. Immediately upon getting home I stretch and then ice my foot for about a half hour. I have had PF for about 4 months and a week ago was pretty discouraged. I use orthotics, could not stand taping, have been doing stretches, and I wear a night splint more or less regularly. I am 58 years old and mildy overweight. A month ago I tried a 4 mile walk and that was clearly a BIG mistake. Since my foot felt significantly better after a 15 mile bike ride a while back, I decided to ride everyday as long as it felt good. I do not stand up while riding and I wear my most confortable shoes which are, ironically, heavy steel-shanked, well cushioned mechanic's workboots. (I originally got into trouble wearing shoes that were supposed to be made for walking when I couldn't believe the work boots were best for me.) Lately I have been waking up with no heel pain and minimal discomfort even after being on my feet much of the day.

Does this program make any sense or I am headed to a big crash and relapse?

Re: Ask the docs --PF pain decreasing the more I ride my bicycle!.

Tina H on 9/30/04 at 21:06 (160798)

I too have found that biking seems to help pf although I have tendonitis in the other foot and it clearly seems to bother that. I think the biking might be stretching the calf muscle which I guess would help pf. Not sure either but I think if it helps, keep it up! Besides with our limited loadbearing ability, biking fills an important exercise requirement.

Dr Ben Pearl on 10/01/04 at 06:28 (160811)

the idea is that biking involves movement in the ankle, pedaling, and it is important to have non pounding movement when trying to improve p. f.

Jill H. on 10/02/04 at 21:46 (160910)

I can't understand why when I ride an exercise bike, my foot feels worse. I have had PF for over 8 months and just last week I tried to ride 10 min. My foot is quite sore now but probably because I walked a little too much. It sure is frustrating since at 8 months I can only walk a block or so.

Dorothy on 10/02/04 at 21:56 (160912)

I'm not a doctor, but your post prompted me to want to tell you that a frequent poster here, Carole C., has written about ways that she used an exercise bike that were effective and didn't cause pain versus ways that did cause her PF pain. If you do a search under Carole C. on this site, you will find her posts. I'm sorry I can't direct you to the month to save you some time. Maybe Carole C. will see your post/my post and advise you on this topic. Good luck.

Linda V on 10/03/04 at 14:02 (160931)

Jill,
I have nothing to offer except that I am also at 8 months, and feel frustrated that I am so limited in what I can do. I think these message boards are a good support to us. I am 50, but was quite active with aerobics, walking 10-25 miles per week, etc. Without this board, I might have stuck my head in the oven. Duhhh...electric stove. Still Wouldn't be able to walk, and would have kojak hair-do.....

Jill H. on 10/04/04 at 08:26 (160951)

Yes, it is so frustrating - I too was a dedicated walker - every day at 5:00 a.m.(yes I know I was crazy) but the 3 teenagers and working full time that was my stress reliever. I am better now, can maybe walk around the block. But everytime I do a little too much (walking at a conference last week) I feel it sets me back. It has been 8 1/2 months now and I just can't wait until I can ride a bike for aerobic exercise.