Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TTS vs. Periferial neurapathy

Posted by john on 10/01/04 at 19:58 (160858)

My Mother in law was diagnosed with periferial neurapathy, docs say it was probally from years of drinking. I am a 34 y/o active male and have been diagnosed with TTS in both ankles, my left worse than my right. Her syptoms sound so simalar to mine although i did my share of drinking in my 20's I, am scared of the possibility of the same neurapathy. I tell my doc that and he assures me it is TTS and surgery usually works well. I hate medications and the thought of a botched surgery scares me. I dont know if its a leave well enough thing alone, but i feel bad for complaining when i here of other sufferers from TTS and think I AM JUST BEING A BABY. any thoughts?

Re: TTS vs. Periferial neurapathy

Darlene on 10/01/04 at 20:44 (160859)

John:

What are your symptoms? The key thing with surgery seems to be finding a doctor who gets consistently good results from surgery. It is reasonable to ask to speak with a couple of previous patients as well.

Darlene

Mia on 10/02/04 at 07:33 (160880)

Good Morning John! I agree with you about taking med's. I had the options of trying more med's, before having surgery done. My choice was to just go ahead and schedule the surgery and move on with my life. I'm only 33 years old and know that my body will heal faster than most. Plus, I trust my doctor and have never heard anything bad about his practice. Actually, I was told by a few people that he's a wonderful choice. (so that helps)
I guess, I'm more concerned about what else they may find wrong with my foot during surgery. (my foot was run over by a tractor trailor 2 monthes ago) Eitherway, I'm eager to just go thru with the surgery and be on my way to a recovery and get on with life.
Good luck in you research and I hope you get the answers your looking for. Sorry - I didn't have more info. to offer or able to answer your question. Hopefully, someone on this site can.

Take care,
Mia

john on 10/02/04 at 09:28 (160886)

my main symptons are pain in my feet from the ball of my foot down to my toes, it is such a defined line where the pain starts in my foot, almost as if i were to have dipped my foot in hot wax to just past the ball of my foot. my arch and heel area feel perfectly fine. it really is uncomfortable walking barefoot on the ball of my feet, it feels as i am walking right on all those little bones.i had a MRI which came back neg. for PF and an EMG which suggests some type of neurapathy such as TTS. Cortisone shots did nothing for me all my blood work came back fine. i just hate the feeling of not being able to run or play sports or anything again.

john on 10/02/04 at 09:31 (160888)

Thanks Mia, and ouch a trackter trailer.I never have been so self concious about people toching or stepping on my feet as i am now, but damn a tracter trailer, i think i would let out a few %#@!'s. good luck

Mia on 10/02/04 at 12:01 (160894)

Yes - its hard to beleive that my left foot was the only thing hurt in the accident. (well NO - my bike was hurt also LOL) Anyway, I'm very lucky! We keep saying 'someone was looking out for me that day!' Things could have been so much worse. Actually, I didn't feel much pain until I got to the hospital. Then it started to hurt a bit. But not enough to take pain med's. I was wearing a very good pair of Harley Davidson Boots that saved my foot from more injury. Damn I love those boots!
Thanks for the warm thoughts and I look forward to hearing more from you soon.

Take care, Mia

Re: i know the feeling

Marty SLC on 10/07/04 at 07:13 (161090)

Before surgery I have burning and pain, after surgery I had the feeling in the ball of my foot like your describing. It feels like I'm walking on the little bones. It's been over 1.5 years since the surgery and I'm sloooooowly still making some progress to rectify what the surgeon did. :( Good Luck

Marty SLC on 10/07/04 at 07:16 (161091)

Oh didn't mention that I had TTS and PF surgery and now I'm dia-X'd with peripheral neuropathy :(

John on 10/08/04 at 07:28 (161137)

ouch sounds like alot of pain. did the TTS and PF lead to your neurapathy from having some type of entrapment in the area or was it cause from something else. also what are you doing for the pain(which I am sure You have). Did your Drs recomend surgery for the TTS to help wih the neyrapathy.I think of that tibeal nerve that runs through the tarsel tunnel area as a garden hose. When you kink it or step on it it would make sence that anything past that point wpould be deprived,hence cousing more problems. I dont know though I am not a Doc, just a guy who doesnt want anyone cutting me unless it makes sence to me first. hope all goes well, and the people who post on here seem very helpfull it is a great place to get info.

Terri on 10/09/04 at 16:09 (161221)

John, think long and hard about having surgery. Are cortisone shots all you've tried so far? Do you have inserts (orthotics) to put into your shoes? Have you tried any physical therapy/massage/acupunture? How many opinions have you received? Are you taking Neurontin or other meds?

Many people on this board that had surgery were told by their dr's the success rate was 80% or better, when it's actually much lower, more like 50%. I had surgery Jan. 2nd of this year on my right foot and the resulting scar tissue that formed has made me worse. I'm doing all I can to put off more surgery and will only do so if I get to the point where I can't walk anymore. I have TTS in both feet.

The recovery period can take up to a year. It may take up to 3 months after surgery before you are able to wear a regular shoe again. I was completely non-weight bearing for a month, had to use a wheelchair at work and on crutches at home during that time.

Do you smoke? You'll need to quit to allow better blood flow to an area of the body that has some difficulty with that anyway. The area where the incision will be is historically slow to heal and the incision can separate.

I don't mean to be negative, but these are all things you need to discuss with your dr, or he/she should have already informed you could happen. Surgery should be the absolute LAST resort when all else has failed. Don't make my mistake and think, 'what the hell, it's going to happen eventually, might as well do it now and get it over with.'

john on 10/09/04 at 16:29 (161222)

Terri, thank you for your input, and no I havent smoked or drank for about a year now. I dont take any mends. I tried accupuncture, about 8 ntimes so far, getting a bit expensive with little improvement. i use a cheap over the counter type of massager, and oddly enough it seems to help a little, just in the hypersensitivity. the pain in my left foot gets worse at times to i have to hobble around like a 90 y/o. i hate tio complain because i can imagine how much pain some of the others in here must be in. does neuratin really work i just seem to have heard negative things about it. i rather fix the problem rather than cover it, but at the same time not make it worse by surgery.I guess i will keep with the orthotics and massaging for a bit longer. My wife also pointed out to me the exessive wear on my shoes and over pronation. I guess i could see how i may have created a problem over time in that area of my foot. I am a carpenter and constantly on my feet. thanks for everyones advice, I am learning alot in hear. best wishes to all./

Terri on 10/10/04 at 10:38 (161240)

John,

As much as I hate to admit it, yes, the Neurontin works wonders! I had taken myself off of it (see my previous posts) and switched to Alpha Lipoic Acid (a strong antioxidant). For awhile I was doing pretty well but just last week I started getting back to where I initially was as far as pain and cramping went. I caved in. Started back on the Neurontin this week and finally have slept straight through for the last 3 nights. I hate the side effect of feeling loopy, but my dr put me on a lower dosage, 300mg in the morning and 600mg at night. Last night, I cut the dose down to 300mg and it still worked with much less dopiness this morning when I woke up. A lot of us here are on it and most have no problem once you become adjusted to it.

I've learned not to use a massager of any kind on my feet as it aggravates the nerves. That's me anyway, and no one can massage my feet either.

Do you have custom orthotics or OTC inserts? If you're using inserts, you really need to get custom ones made.

Glad you're getting some answers and advice here. Keep posting, ask anything, we all learn from each other.

Kim on 10/12/04 at 22:17 (161376)

John I just had the tarsal tunnel syndrome surgical release with deep peroneal surgical release one month ago. The severe pain I had in my inner ankle area is gone. I had let the TSS get so severe was not able to even walk. After the cortisone shots , nerve blocks, splinting,& putting foot in cast. The medications ended up with an ulcer. The surgery is outpatient for the day. With crutches was able to get to bathroom & to bed & to recliner in living room (did fall twice with the crutches). Not able to go upstairs, It is only bed rest definately for the first 2-3 weeks. 3weeks after the surgery stitches came out & started to bear 50% weight, by the forth week was able to ambulate with some weight on the foot. If your Dr. has ordered pain medications take them as per ordered.keep your foot elevated as much as possible. started physical therapy on foot again 2 days ago. The healing process takes about 10 weeks. The swelling in the foot takes time to reduce.About the 4-5 week will put your foot back into a sneaker. It has been now 6weeks since the surgery & i am able to walk about 25-30feetwithout crutches.

john on 10/14/04 at 12:50 (161503)

Thanks for you advice Kim( and everyone else for that matter). Not to make anything mor confusing to me i went and got another opinion just for the heck of it before I scheduled surgery with my original doc, and this new Doc ids suggesting a notrons neuroma in one of my feet along with tarsel tunnel, so back to the table for more ultra sound and mri. i guess in a way it is better to find out now rather than later so both procedures could be done at once. who knows maybe he would just want to remove the neuroma first to see what happens next. I guess like most of all you in here i will just have to be patient and a little more proactive with mu own feet, docs seem to have the measure once cut twice additude, me on the other hand am a firm believer in the old carpenter motto....measure twice cut once. well have a great day all and hope everyone feels better. Peace

marie on 10/17/04 at 18:03 (161698)

Sorry to hear you're still hurting Marty! I hate that feeling like you're walking on your bones with no padding on the bottom of your feet. It's horrible.

Well keep the faith and let me know how you're doing.

marie on 10/17/04 at 18:10 (161699)

Hey John,

Before you jump into surgery PLEEEEEZE look closer at the medications involved. The surgery is very risky and when you're in pain sometimes in an effort to get well a hasty decision is made. Any doc that suggests surgery before trying meds is not helping you. Don't let your pain make your decisions. TTS takes a very long time to recover from.

Neurontin has very few side affects. It is an adjustment but once you're on it it's fine. After three years my medication has been reduced to 600 mg. I can do just about everything I did before.....can't jump or skip but that's ok cause I didn't do much of that to begin with.

take care best wishes marie

john on 10/18/04 at 08:30 (161721)

thanks for your advice, and i am trying all options to not have surgery. maybe i will ask my doc about neurotin. thanks

Kim on 10/18/04 at 21:02 (161753)

Hi John its now 8 weeks after the surgery done & I now have a sneaker on my left foot & starting to walk .The severe pain I had is gone, I still have pain in the area where the incision was done but the severe pain is gone.I have alot of pressure in the foot & now only taking pain pills a maxium of 3pills a day versus of taking 2 every 3hours. A big improvement. I went to the Doctors on thursday & doc states I am about 2 weeks ahead of recovery stage (I stayed off my feet & used only the crutches & no weight bearing whatso ever) The bad news was I need to have the surgery done on the right foot, I had a gut feeling about it because I have been having the same pain in the right foot. I do see 3 doctors for my feet have had the positive tineals sign plus the other test that are involved plus, I am nurse & have done extensive research before I considered the surgery & I recommend everyone to get a second opinion,have the test done,& if the person decides to have the surgery follow the postoperative instructions.Also, I have completed my first week of physical therapy in which is teaching the correct strecthing the muscles plus strengthening the foot. I am looking forward to returning to work in 3 weeks.

Deb G on 10/24/04 at 07:50 (162051)

I have this feeling that you describe and I have been diagnosed with Morton's Neuroma. I am having surgery this Wednesday to relieve that nerve. I had tarsal tunnel surgery also for a different set of symptoms. I stand all day at my job so my feet take a beating. Look up Morton's Neuroma and see if this describes your symptoms. Good Luck. Painful feet are the worst.