Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pre -op with doctor

Posted by Mia on 10/02/04 at 07:50 (160883)

Hello everyone!

I was wondering what questions I should ask my doctor at my appointment in 3 days? (surgery scheduled for Oct.28th) Honestly, I just want to make sure to not forget anything and have a list with me so I'm prepared. Its not uncommon to get into see the doctor and forget all the little things you wanted to ask him. Can anyone think of anything beside the normal questions that would be helpful?
I'm looking forward to hearing any advice you may have!

Take care,

Mia

Re: Pre -op with doctor

Darlene on 10/02/04 at 08:10 (160884)

Mia:

I would suggest that you ask the doctor for the post-op instruction sheet. When I went for surgery the doctor didn't prepare me in advance and just gave me a sheet to take home afterwards. Obviously one's state of mind is different right after surgery than before. Also, he didn't tell me that I wouldn't be able to wear my shoe right afterward. They actually tried to stuff my sore swollen just operated on foot back into my regular shoe. It was comical, but not really. They reluctantly gave me a post op shoe.

Also ask about rehab post surgery. I've read that it is very important to keep the posterior tibial nerve gliding after surgery so that it does not get stuck in scar tissue. There are some good physiotherapists out there who do massage to prevent adhesions. You may want to visit a few physiotherapists before the surgery to find someone you are happy with.

Darlene

Mia on 10/02/04 at 12:10 (160895)

LOL - a regular shoe? That would have been a sight. After reading so many posts...it appears that every doctor seems to wrap the foot differently than others. I know I'm going to make sure to ask my doctor how he does his! Plus, I'm curious on when the staples/ stitches will be removed? Crutches or what after surgery? I really hate the crutches, but I guess I'll need them! There are so many questions I have and want the answers 'NOW' but I know I need to wait. I just wish there was more info. on the internet concerning TTS. I'm excited that I found this site and have had some of my thoughts confirmed by others posts. THANKS!

Take care and if you can think of anything that might be of interest to tell me....feel free to let me know!

Mia

Pat on 10/02/04 at 16:35 (160900)

One thing I would suggest prior to surgery is that you ask the doctor to call in any pain medication etc. for you so you can pick it up before you get the surgery. Nothing like having the surgery and wanting to go home and having to stop at the drug store. In my case I was new in a town where I didn't know anyone and once a co-worked dropped me at home that was basically it! You may also want to stock up on some ice bags and things like that.

Mia on 10/02/04 at 19:18 (160907)

Thanks for that advice! I never gave it much thought about the med's or ice packs. Anything else you might remember or want to suggest? Please feel free to let me know.

Take care,
Mia

Camilla on 10/03/04 at 10:07 (160920)

Thanks for asking this question. I need to know all these things myself. My pre op visit is Thursday morning. I still don't have a list of questions put together yet. The more I read, it seems the biggest problem people have is with the scar tissue. I guess that will be one of my first questions. Good luck to you. I will keep ya in my thoughts.

Terri on 10/03/04 at 13:22 (160925)

Mia, ask him if you will be under general anesthesia. If so, you'll be unsteady on crutches when you get home as it takes up to 48 hours to get the drugs out of your system. You may want to rent a wheelchair or walker, be prepared to rent and use it for a month. I went back to work 1 week after surgery and the wheelchair was a lifesaver. Most insurance plans will cover the rental, especially if the dr. writes a prescription for it. Oh, and get the leg extensions so you can keep your foot propped up.

Ask the dr for a handicapped placard prescription also and go to your local BMV to get it. It's good for 5 years (in Ohio anyway) and the fee is minimal. Believe me, you'll be glad you got it!

After surgery, most of us had our lower leg/foot numbed and didn't think the pain was too bad. But, that will wear off in 24 hrs or less. Don't be overconfident and take your pain meds as prescribed even if you feel you really don't need them. It's very important to stay ahead of the pain, don't let it hit you full force then try to get rid of it with your meds, it's much harder to do it that way.

Good luck to you!

Mia on 10/04/04 at 19:18 (160972)

Your very welcome! Yes - it does seem people have made a few comments about the scar tissue. I'll have to add that to my list as well. I'm glad to know that ther are others out there dealing with the same issues as myself. Good Luck and let me know how you make out.

Take care,
Mia

Mia on 10/04/04 at 19:25 (160973)

Thanks so much for all your comments. I'll make sure to remember to ask my doctor before hand to see what equipment I may need. I can't imagine needing more than crutches. I've been under for past surgeries and never seemed to have trouble walking afterwards, so I'm guessing I'll be OK with the crutches.
I'll also make sure to take my med's at least for the first couple days. After that, we'll see how I feel. I would much rather stay ahead of the pain than have it hit me full force. Hopefully, it will go better than I'm thinking and I will not need them a couple days into recovery! Who knows? I can always hope - LOL!
Anyway, thanks again for everything and if you have any other info to pass my way - that would be great!

Take care,
Mia

angelas on 11/18/04 at 23:08 (164319)

Hi,
Good idea about getting the meds ahead of time!
Also a surgical bag to cover the foot so you can shower if important. A bag and duct tape will do but it not at all as easy or good.
Something to sit on when you take a shower.
A chair in the bathroom with a table top mirror is handy.
So many things I won't know that I need until after the surgery!
These were all I could think of.
I have Carpel Tunnel and neck and shoulder problems so crutches are not a good idea for me.
I wanted a walker with brakes and wheels but my insurance will not cover it.
It costs something like $240.00 cash, but a wheel-chair with foot rests that folds up is only $120.00 FWIW.
A neuromuscular massage therapist can help you with scar tissue also. But I would ask just to be sure. Mine does.
I remember reading that a cortisol cream can help with scar tissue also, also Vitamin E.
My surgery is December 1. I have it in both feet, also Fibromyalgia, Carpel Tunnel, and a herniated neck disk so wish me luck! It will be a challange.
How long does your doctor say the foot needs to be non-weight-bearing?
Mine says 3 weeks, until the stitches come out. And no PT after, for most patients.
Since I only have Medicaid I won't get much I am sure if any.
Angela