Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Taping foot for a Marathon

Posted by Ro on 10/02/04 at 17:02 (160903)

Hello....I was wondering if anyone out there has actually been able to complete a full marathon with their foot/feet taped for plantar fasciitis? I have never done this before, and usually apply body glide to my feet before a race. However, I have had a set back from a PF flare up after training for an upcoming race, and am considering taping to get me through it. Thanks in advance.

Re: Taping foot for a Marathon

john h on 10/03/04 at 10:54 (160921)

Ro you want like my advice at all but if you have active PF I would not run the marathon. I doubt if tape for that distance would be of any use. It would be good for a sprain or such. I kept running distances when my PF was not very bad and ultimately I ended up with 9 years of PF and I cannot run at all. I know how you feel about running as it was a big part of my life but if I had it to do over again when I first developed PF I would have quit running unitl i had no PF pain. Good luck.

Linda V on 10/03/04 at 13:44 (160926)

Ro,
John H has a good point. If you read some recent posts on this board..most of them titled something like 'If I had to do it all over again...' ..you might have the feeling hit you that a number of people who pushed themselves..whether it be running, aerobics, or even WORKING an 8 hr shift on a hard floored surface while they had PF...wish they could do it over again and would have done whatever stretch of immobility it took (and yes, i know how hard it is..i was very active too) to get OVER it...
i have had PF of both feet for 8 months now. not a day goes by i don't grieve for an active hour of running, speed walking, or step aerobics..but i would rather suffer now for a year or so than 9 years like john. good luck in your decision.

R C on 10/04/04 at 13:59 (160960)

Ro,

Let me join the chorus to persuade you not to run until your PF is fully resolved, and that effective measures have been undertaken to prevent recurrence. Until then, let me suggest that you take up swimming. I gave up running after some nasty PF, and have taken up swimming as my new addiction, having never swum regularly before. It's great for you.

R C

Maurice Du Monde on 10/12/04 at 06:24 (161322)

question: you metion stoping running until the pain is totally gone?
i have tried spinning classes and it seems this will now be my sport of choice. i don't want to NEVER be able to run. pls, advise! tks, mdm