Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ankle pain

Posted by Stacy on 10/02/04 at 20:46 (160909)

I've had ankle pain for a week now after my podiatrist pushed on my posterior tibial nerve to see if it was tender. I nearly jumped out of the chair when he did that and now I have this burning pain in my ankle. I've never had pain there before and I am worried that something bad happened. I have tiny ankles and and pretty bony. How much pressure do you need before causing injury to that area? How long should I ignore the pain before I should start worrying about it?

Re: ankle pain

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/04/04 at 20:04 (160976)

Stacy:
How hard did he push? Was there tingling or shooting pains? Did he talk about the possibility of tarsal tunnel syndrome?
Ed

Re: To Ed Davis, DPM

Stacy on 10/05/04 at 13:17 (161010)

Dr. Ed,

He pushed pretty hard and the pain was shooting rather than tingling. Now its a little swollen and the pain is mostly a burning feeling which gets much worse when I walk on it for any length of time. My pod did mention tarsal tunnel syndrome during the exam. The weird thing is that I never had any pain in my ankle before he pushed on the nerve. Its been a week now and I am starting to get scared that something might have gotten pushed too hard? Is that possible? If he just bruised something, how long does that take to heal up? am I overreacting?

Thanks so much