Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Use of wedge in nightsplints?

Posted by Buck T. on 10/05/04 at 15:00 (161013)

What's best way to use wedge that comes with nightsplints?

Sincerely, Buck T.

Re: Use of wedge in nightsplints?

SUSAN S on 10/06/04 at 08:37 (161040)

As far as I know, you put it in the toe area of the
night splint with the big end toward the tip of the
toe. It's for increased stretching by tilting your
toes up. There should be some velcro to attach it.
I've read here where some people experience problems
due to their toes being pulled back while wearing a
night splint that lifted up their toes, but I've used
the wedge before and didn't have any problems. I didn't
use it for a long period of time though.

john h on 10/06/04 at 09:30 (161042)

Buck that is sort of personal choice. I never use mine. I think it is just another way of increasing the tension on the fasica which you can do with many of the adjustable night splints without a wedge. I can do all the adjustments I want without the wedge. Those hard night splints might be a more appropriate place for the wedge.

Buck T. on 10/07/04 at 09:49 (161094)

Okay, thanks, Susan. Will give the wedge a try. Maybe try at first while watching Monday Night Football -- then try later at night.

Sincerely, Buck T.

Buck T. on 10/11/04 at 16:17 (161295)

Okay, John: By hard night splints you're talking about the ones with the plastic shell? I'm using the nice & easy one from here.

Sincerely, Buck T.

john h on 10/12/04 at 11:15 (161338)

Buck my very first night splint was one that went almost to the knee and was a hard plastic shell. There were no adjustments on it. Very difficult to sleep in and it held your foot in only one position which seemed to me to be near neutral. I have found the Nice 7 Easy the best of several I have used. You can actually sleep in it and adjust to your needs. I wear a sock for more comfort and do not take it off if I need to go a short distance in the house. It comes with a wedge and a small pack that can be placed in the freezer and frozen if you need ice with it on.