Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

dress shoes

Posted by Jill H. on 10/06/04 at 11:26 (161049)

Does anyone have any suggestions for a shoe, not necessarily dressy but something besides sneakers? I have had PF for almost 9 months - am finally seeing some improvement but have a way to go. Thanks

Re: dress shoes

Linda V on 10/06/04 at 14:40 (161057)

only when absolutely necessary...like a few hours at a wedding or out to dinner, i have been able to wear shoes by naturalizer, rockport, and even a pair made by hush puppies that are dressy. good stores with a wide selection like macys, filenes, etc have them. superfeet also puts out a dress shoe orthotic insert that fits these. good luck..

Re: dress shoes

Suzanne D. on 10/06/04 at 16:15 (161062)

Here's one that I wear - the Birkenstock Annapolis. It is a deep, roomy shoe with a footbed that is removeable so you could place an orthotic inside:


Best wishes!
Suzanne :)

Re: dress shoes

RACHAEL T. on 10/06/04 at 18:01 (161068)

Linda - do you pay the next day in pain after wearing a dressy pump by Naturalizer or other such shoe company? Pls. advise. Do you put an orth in it?

Re: dress shoes

Robin P. on 10/06/04 at 20:03 (161072)

Munro makes some nice looking shoes that can be worn with pants or dresses. But the best thing about Munros is that they really seem to relieve my PF pain. For 5 years, I handled my PF by wearing nothing but Birkenstock shoes or Birkestock arch supports in other flat shoes. A few months ago, the PF pain came back with a vengence, and the Birkenstocks no longer seemed to help. A shoe specialist measured my foot and informed me that I was a Size 11 Narrow...I had been wearing a Size 10 Wide for years. He brought out a pair of Munro Breeze...a classy looking tailored shoe with a 2-inch wedge heel. They made my feet feel sooooo good that I bought two pairs in different colors...I've been wearing them (with a Birk arch support) to work for weeks now and my feet are much better. The higher heel seem to work better than the flatter Birks for my troubled feet. When I get home from work, I like to free up my toes by putting on sandals. I have discovered the Munro Joyce, which is a mule type shoe with stetchy cloth top over a solid 2-inch heel...very well contructed and kind of sexy looking. When I put on the Munro Joyce mules in the morning, the sharp PF pain that normally accompanies the first 10 minutes of my day, is virtually gone...with no orthotic needed. They won't work for everyone, but they sure have made me happy!

Re: dress shoes

Linda V on 10/06/04 at 20:55 (161079)

i did not even attempt these shoes until my PF was 80% better, and then only for short times. so far, no..i had no adverse pain the next day. but i really stretched, iced, and self massaged a LOT before and after wearing them. and i only danced one slow dance with my hubby. i wore no type of orthotic in them, although i WILL buy the superfeet dress shoe inserts next time i get to the shoe store. i was SO encouraged. and now i am walking 1/4 mile a day with no pain. making ever so slow baby steps towards remission, and being very careful not to push myself too hard.

Re: dress shoes

Rose on 10/06/04 at 20:58 (161080)

I got a pair of orthopedic Mary Janes in black swede . They are Drew, expensive but really good. They do not bend in the middle and they work with my orthodics. I feel very good in them and my feet look good. They were graet for a wedding and other things where I might like to dress up. They are usually available on sale on the internet un Drew Shoes. Good Luck. ALso look under orthopedic shoes. They do not look at all like orthopedic shoes but feel like them.

Re: dress shoes

Jill H. on 10/06/04 at 20:59 (161081)

Where do you get these shoes? Can you mail order them?

Re: dress shoes

Linda V on 10/06/04 at 21:03 (161082)

I can't wear birks..just don't feel good to me. the munro shoes look good online..a little pricey for the breeze for my budget (not working right now)..but if i see munro shoes in person, i'll be sure to try them on. thanks for the tip!

Re: dress shoes

Robin P. on 10/06/04 at 21:16 (161083)

You can order them online from Nordstroms or at Footsmart. I noticed that the Munro Joyce mule is currently on sale on the Footsmart website for $39. If you want to look at the shoes in person, you can check out the munroshoes.com website and look at the locations of stores that sell the shoes.

Re: dress shoes

Susan S on 10/07/04 at 07:51 (161092)

For something besides sneakers, I have the Dansko closed-back clog. The insole is not removable, but they do have some arch support.

For dressy, I just bought the Skechers Somethin' Else brand shoe called Chatters. It's a modified Mary Jane. The strap across the top is lower down toward the toes. The sole is shaped like a pump with a heel, but the sole is all rubber and tilts up a little at the toe which makes them easier to walk in. Also the heel is wider than usual. Mainly I found them to be very soft and comfortable, although the insole has no arch support and is not removable. I just got them for when I absolutely have to have a dress shoe. Maybe it would take an insert, but I don't know yet.

Re: dress shoes

Janice C on 10/13/04 at 22:35 (161465)

I have had really good luck with Mephisto shoes, the mobiles and ones with a cork bed. The Birk is too flat for me, aggravated my PF. Not pushing a store but Zappos.com will ship them to you free and returns are free. I've ordered several pair, also had to send back several pair to get a good fit. The ones with straps work for me because my foot is slightly narrow. The cost is high, but these are about all I can wear. They have a firm footbed. I haven't tried their closed-in shoes, all I have are sandals. They are really cute too. Good luck.