Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tarsal Tunnel relating to work

Posted by Bill R on 10/06/04 at 13:34 (161055)

I am a union laborer who got tarsal tunnel from working 10 to 12 hours a day, shoveling asphalt, with out breaks or a lunch period. i worked until my condition was so bad my feet and legs went totalling numb. I have been under a doctors care for over a year now and he won't let me return to my work due to pain and numbness that has lasted for over a year now, he has said i can work a sedintary job, even though walking and driving cause my symptoms to be agravated,is this what a doctor has to do, because of laws concerning social securtity. working will agravate my problem but it looks like this is what i'll have to do, because the doctor won't take the extra step, which would enable me to get my disabilty pension, and possibly social security. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Tarsal Tunnel relating to work

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/06/04 at 16:51 (161064)

Bill:
We need to turn back the clock a bit in our minds on this one. Remember carpal tunnel syndrome. Carpal tunnel syndrome is not new but it took years before it and other repetitive strain injuires becasme recognized as industrial injuries (repetitive strain injuries). You need a good Worker's Comp. attorney and a doc who knows a lot about tarsal tunnel and is willing to verify the work relatedness of the problem. Occasionally, the attorney will refer you to a doc he has worked with on the problem before. Keep in mind that there is probably (my guesstimate) 50 cases of carpal tunnel for every case of tarsal tunnel so the work relatedness is not always as clear and takes a bit of detective work on part of the doc and an understanding of the relationship. If you have an attorney, have him contact me at (email removed) so I can help him understand this issue a little better.
Ed