Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

exercise and TTS

Posted by Michelle on 10/06/04 at 17:50 (161067)

I've recently been diagnosed with TTS. I've already spent the last 9 months sitting down doing NO exercise. I'd like to start doing something, but I don't want to aggravate my already painful ankle. Does anyone know of any form of exercise that doesn't aggravate this problem?

Re: exercise and TTS

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/06/04 at 20:25 (161073)

Michelle:
The key is to do exercises that do not involve repetitive motion of the foot/ankle so, for example, one can go to a gym that has Nautilus or similar equipment, do high reps with low weight to get the cardio portion of the workout instead of treadmill, then go back through the machines a second time doing more weight and less reps for the strength portion of the workout.
Ed

Terri on 10/06/04 at 20:35 (161075)

Michelle,

You need to read some past posts from Julie relating to yoga here. Not only yoga, but there is Pilates and you can even do some aerobics and weight training, which I do, that won't put added pressure on your feet. Don't forget floor exercises such as crunches, leg lifts, kicks, etc. Upper body weight training can be done sitting or lying down. Don't invest in one of those exercise balls, it's too hard on our feet trying to keep your balance.

After surgery there was physical therapy (p.t.) The center I went to offered an exercise program working with, or without, a personal trainer. I had an evaluation after my p.t. was over, he designed a program for me to do on my own plus I schedule time with him 2 x's / week. Happy to say I've dropped my body fat % from 23.2% to 19% in 6 months, lost many inches in my waist and hips and have gone from a 6 / 8 to a solid size 4. The best part is my weight is only down 4 lbs overall because I've lost fat pounds but gained muscle. I'm a 45 yr old nana of 2 and people think I'm their mom. I've always been thin but now I have definite muscle definition and my body fat index puts me into the 'amateur athelete' category. Too bad I can't do anything athletic! :-)

I firmly believe that TTS will control us only if we let it. If you are serious about getting active again, you need to start eating small meals 5 times/day, think low fat and low calorie and high protein intake. High protein only if you're weight training though as it can cause formation of kidney stones in some people. If you're weight training, the protein goes to repair the muscle tissue after a workout as it actually suffers small tears and the protein repairs this. That's what builds more muscle and gives you the definition. Don't do the carb-free route as you need carbs for energy.

Sorry, didn't mean to get on a soapbox here, but I've turned into a real exercise nut after my surgery this past Jan. I felt saggy and sooo out of shape. Not only have I re-sculpted my body but my self-esteem has soared! I now have a boyfriend for the first time in 2 years because I'm not embarassed about how I look, or thought I looked. I even bought, and wore!, a bikini.

We can still be functional beings with this condition. You have to constantly out-think it, find ways to do what you want, when you want.

Michelle on 10/07/04 at 10:35 (161098)

Thanks Terri and Dr. Ed

I just have one last question - what about swimming? its not weight bering but the ankle definetly does repetitive motions. has that bothered things in your case?
Also - Terri, you really do aerobics? where did you find a class that doesn't bother the ankle? I have trouble standing for long periods right now.
Thanks again for all the information.
-- Michelle

Terri on 10/09/04 at 15:50 (161219)

Michelle,

No, I don't do aerobics but I do get in cardio work using a stationary bike, a recumbent bike and an upper body ergometer (UBE for short). The bikes don't put the pressure on my feet like a treadmill or aerobics will. I also bought a mountain bike and get out whenever possible with it. Think of how your foot moves during a bike ride. Generally, the foot/ankle doesn't bend all that much, it's mostly your knees and hips that take most of the movement. You have to make sure you have the seat adjusted properly.

The key for me is good shoes. I wear New Balance tennis shoes. They are very rigid in the shank (heel of shoe up to mid arch area) which reduces the movement around your ankles and I can put my orthotics in them.

Here's a run-down of one of my exercise routines (body-sculpting):
5 mins on recumbent bike at 70 rpms
Sit-up weight machine, 60lbs for 30 reps
Back presses, 105lbs for 30-40 reps
Leg presses, 60lbs for 30 reps (lying down on weight sled)
Calf presses, 45lbs for 20 reps (on the weight sled)
(This will really bend your ankle, but for me, after the initial discomfort it seems to help loosen it and I do feel better afterwards!)
UBE, 1 min forward, 1 min backwards
Seated rows, 60lbs for 25 - 30 reps
Hamstring curls, 30lbs for 25 reps
Lat pull downs, 45lbs for 25 - 30 reps
Tricep press, 30lbs for 25 reps
'Girl' style push-ups, as many as I can get in. After all the arm exercises, I'm lucky to get to 20
Squats, holding 20lbs
5 mins on stationary bike

Everything listed is done either lying or sitting down except for the squats and push ups. This program can be done in 25 - 30 mins and is a good overall work-out. I've progressed from this to the weight training, (also done sitting, lying down) but do try to get this program in at least once/week. During the week I ride my bike to get my cardio in.

Another exercise that people on this board never seem to discuss is sex. Sometimes we let pain get in the way and sex seems to be the first thing that goes out the window if we don't feel well or when we're too tired, etc. A good rousing session, of which you must be an ACTIVE participant, is a great workout in itself and releases those endorphins. Just watch the positions you use, or better yet, try some new ones.

Michelle on 10/09/04 at 16:35 (161224)

Thanks Terri

I'll definetly give your workout plan a try.

Best Regards,
Michelle

Terri on 10/10/04 at 10:17 (161238)

Glad to hear you'll try this Michelle. Just be sure to adjust the weights that are comfortable to you. This program is more about reps than the weight. My weights are increased because I've been doing this since March and have gained strength over time. If you can afford it, hire a personal trainer to help you get started, make sure you use the equipment properly, as well as do the exercises correctly. I pay mine only as I schedule time with him, it runs $30.00 for a 1/2 hour session.

Good luck to you and let me know how you progress on the TTS board. Or, if you have questions, you can contact me at (email removed)