Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

P. W. Minor Shoes

Posted by john h on 10/07/04 at 10:33 (161097)

P.W. Minor specializes in making shoes for people with various foot problems for both men and women. You generally will not find them in shoe stores but do find them in orthotic labs. Some Podiatrist who specialize in treating feet with patients who have diabetes also may have a catalog and samples. They make extra depth shoes and vaious other shoes for various conditions. They are a quality shoe. Following is there web page:

http://www.pwminor.com/Products/

Re: P. W. Minor Shoes

Richard, C.Ped on 10/07/04 at 13:57 (161109)

they are pretty good. I do not really use them anymore because they cost so much.

Re: P. W. Minor Shoes

john h on 10/07/04 at 17:17 (161112)

Richard: I had worn the covers off my of semi rigid orthotics which were very thin (1/8' leather). They wore down right were my feet hurt on the inside where the fascia attaches to the heel. They wore all the way down to the plastic. I went to our local Ped orthotic lab where they have about 8 certified technicians. The guy I see has been there for over 35 years. He said I needed more padding in the heel and it needed to be raised a little.He put on new covers and raised the heel with a softer padding. One of the other technicians came in and it was an older lady who has/had PF herself. We both had on New Balance. They also made a few adjustments and did the repairs while I was in the lab. Only charged me $20 which seemed most reasonable. They have about 10-20 labs arouund a two state area. Snell Labs

Re: P. W. Minor Shoes, Apex Ambulators

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/08/04 at 15:26 (161181)

Richard:
What is your opinion of Apex Ambulators?
Ed

Richard, C.Ped on 10/08/04 at 16:13 (161183)

I stopped using Apex shoes about two years ago. All patients tend to agree that they were ugly and very heavy. To many patients think 'orthopedic' shoes have to be ugly. Not the case at all.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/09/04 at 09:50 (161200)

Richard:
They have done some re-designing. Most patients seem to find them very comfortable but local pedorthists seem hesitant to stock them.
Ed

john h on 10/09/04 at 10:33 (161206)

What I see here Ed is Pedorthists & Ortho Labs tend to have samples of various shoee for people to look at and then twice a year P.W. Minor has a trunk showing at various places where they bring their complete line. The guy they send to show the shoes is vary weel informed. Some of the shoe look half way fashionable asise from being well made. I forget the name of the rip-off store that sells orthotics as they recently changed their name. They also stock these shoes as Medicade or even Medicare will pay for them if you are a diabetic and they are prescribed. The Podiatrist my wife sees specializes in arthritic and diabetic feet and he sells Minor shoes.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/09/04 at 10:46 (161209)

John:
Often, when there are pedorthists in proximity to a podiatrist's practice, it is preferrable to make the referral. When no pedorthist exists in the community, the podiatrist may be more likely to handle the diabetic shoe ordering himself.
Ed

Richard, C.Ped on 10/12/04 at 08:21 (161325)

Ed,
There are some better looking Apex shoes, but they are flimsy. They can be easily bent in the middle.

As for the Medicare and Medicaid reimbursment as John stated, I will not use them because they cost to much. It is almost the same with PW and Drew. Some of the styles will only allow you to make $10.