Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Comfrey Warning

Posted by john h on 10/08/04 at 08:59 (161143)

A few weeks ago we had a short discussion about Comfrey on this board. I ordered a small container of salve but have not yet used it. Last night I was scanning the May 2004 issue of Consumer Reports and came across an article entitled 'Twelve Supplements You Should Avoid' Comfrey was listed among these and listed as 'Very Likely Dangerous'. It noted the FDA advised the industry to remove from market in 2001. It is banned in other countries. Dangers listed: Abnormal liver function or damage, often irreversible; deaths reported. Even though I have a salve it is absorbed into the blood stream.

Kava is also listed with the same dangers and is banned in Canada among other countries.

Some Chinese herbs, etc often sold by accupuncturist contain a product named Aristolochic Acid. It is listed as definitely dangerous nad is a potent human carcinogen with deaths reported.

Re: Comfrey Warning

Suzanne D. on 10/08/04 at 09:50 (161152)

Thanks for posting this, John. You always seem to be on top of the latest information about many things!

Suzanne :)