Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Posted by Casey H on 10/09/04 at 14:42 (161212)

Does anyone know what an actipatch is?? I have chronic pain from TT surgeries and subsequent nerve damage. Lidocaine patches are no help. TENS unit no help. A doc friend suggested this patch. Do they ever jsut cut the nerve in the tarsal tunnel area if nothing else helps pain? Seems like it would be more conservative than amputation.

Re: actipatch

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/09/04 at 14:53 (161213)

The nerve does control the muscles of the feet so cutting it out is generally not an option.

I am not aware of the product you list but consider Lidoderm patches which is a patch containing lidocaine (numbing medicine) that you can cut and place over the tarsal tunnel.

It sounds like you have had your fill of surgery but Dr. Neal Schon of Baltimore does what is known as the vein wrap procedure where he takes a large vein and uses it as a sleeve (like a conduit) to place over the nerve, thereby protecting it.

Other topicals exist which have to be made by a compounding pharmacy, that is, a pharmacy that custom mixes drugs. It is a good way to get some fairly strong medication close to the nerve without having to take it orally, avoidng the side effects.

Linda V on 10/09/04 at 15:02 (161215)

if you do a google of actipatch, you will see many links. i never heard of it either..now i found out its a pulsed electromagnetic stimulation designed to heal wounds, and reduce swelling and pain. hmm..interesting.

Darlene on 10/09/04 at 15:58 (161220)

Did the tt surgery cause the nerve damage? I have nerve damage from morton's neuroma surgery.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/12/04 at 16:50 (161359)

It is an interesting concept. Surprised that word has not gotten out about it more. Sounds like it works with a very low current. Is that low current enough to have the desired therapeutic effect? I don't know. Really need more information on this one.

Kelly L. on 10/27/04 at 21:33 (162295)

More information on actipatch can be found at http://www.bioelectronics.com. . or google it.

Don LoGuercio on 10/18/05 at 19:23 (185109)

Dear Casey H & Ed Davis DMP:

Thank you for your interest in ActiPatch. Although I cannot discuss in detail ActiPatch via 'posted messages' on the Internet feel free to contact me at the information below. I will be glad to provide you with information and answer any questions you may have on our product ActiPatch. I look forward to hearing from you all soon.

Don LoGuercio
Sales Executive / Clinical Educator
E-Mail: don.loguercio at actipatch.net
Toll-Free: 866-757-2284 ext. 1032
Direct: 818-584-1032
Fax: 866-757-8717
Web: http://www.actipatch.net