Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

overstretched calf-now intense intense tts pain-help

Posted by rekha on 10/10/04 at 15:12 (161249)

I am also desperate for any advice. Just over one week ago, I stretched my left leg too much when horrifying nerve symptoms developed in my left ankle up to my big toe. I can barely bear any weight on my left ankle...the moment I walk even a few steps, I am in searing pain. I am crawling around the house just to get anywhere. I went to a podiatrist who says it is tarsal tunnel syndrome-....talked to DR Z who says tts developes over time...and that I probably just inflammed the area/tendons. I have been patient for a whole week, trying to rest, to no avail...the moment I bear any weight on that ankle I am in excruciating pain!!

I used the ibuprofin cream, heat, ice...I am trying anything...because I have pf and am very stressed about this new possible intense tts pain. I have an appt with my hmo-podiatrist this wednesday....I am at wits end as to how stretching my calf muscle (achilles tendon stretch) and foot could have brought on such acute symptoms of tts.

I am in extreme pain, and would appreciate any input. I can barely walk and am terrified of more foot pain. Foot pain for the last 7 years has ruined me financially, taken an emotional toll on me and now this.

Re: overstretched calf-now intense intense tts pain-help

Randy on 10/10/04 at 16:14 (161251)

I overstrethed calf muscles after being diagnosed with tts and got extreme pain in the heels, which my doc says was an achilles problem. SEEmed to also cause tingling in the calf area also, so 've wondered if I really stretched a nerve in the heel. Doc gave me elt heel lifts which helped. I also have some of the nerve pains in the feet andtoes you described, but they started at a different time. ncv testing is supposed to hel diagnose tts. Sorry I cant be more help, but hope you find some relief.
Randy

Terri on 10/11/04 at 19:09 (161299)

Rehka,

I would agree with Dr. Z, and an injury to the tendon will take more than a week to heal. You stated you were doing an Achilles tendon stretch and that's probably just what you did, only a little more than you bargained for. Tendons are slow to heal and you need to have more patience than 7 days worth. Tennis elbow is tendonitis too and it took me almost 4 months to get over it. Rest and ice are the key here. Use crutches whenever possible and keep your knees slightly bent when at rest. I'm not a dr, just using some common sense. Ask your dr if an anti-inflammatory would be recommended.

Give this a week or two and let us know how you're doing.

rekha on 10/12/04 at 19:39 (161371)

i went to a podiatrist and they are saying it is a nerve injury...(not officially tts yet)...however...the pain is unbelievable....the cast does not seem to help...(cam walker cast w/cane on the other side)

today 2nd podiatrist says I may have beginnings of RSD....I told her dr's thought I had that several months ago...but not anymore....but the amount of pain, the hypersensitivity, is way more than tts should give me...so now I am seriously thinking I could have RSD..what should I do?

I dont know what to do....

marie on 10/17/04 at 18:01 (161696)

Rekha,

Hi. Sorry to hear your in such pain. Have you tried deep calf massage? I strongly suggest it. Also continue to ice and stay off it. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it's probably going to take longer than a week to heal....maybe months. Relax. Do only what you have to do to get you through. That means rest, massage, light NON weight bearing exercise, talk to your doc about Neurontin right away.....especially if you think you're sensitive to RSD.

Some tips:
Avoid any place that you have to stand in line. Try using drive up windows for banks and food.

Use the cart at Walmart.

Get a wheel chair or walker. Don't be a marytr and keep going STOP. REST.

Your home will be there long after you've gone. Do only the housework you have to do and let the rest sit on the back burner.

Find something to do to occupy your mind so you don't focus on the pain. Sewing, crocheting, reading, posting on heelspurs.........whatever you like to do.

Hope to hear some good news from you in the future.

best wishes marie